Red velvet algea

wazzifam

While im waiting for my water to straighten out, I was wondering what I can do to get rid of the red velvet and algea that clumps the sand. I really dont wanna add anything to the water, but should i take out the peices and scrub it off or will this give me undesirable results?

Ive been doing a min. of 18 gal changes everyweekend with 5-10 gal durring the week If I can. Im topping of with RO water I purchased from the LFS.
I just cleaned this tank yesterday internal parts of filter and all. and by today its full of the stuff. I dont wanna just blow it off, it seems to float around and I find it in a different spot... any remedies? I dont want to do this every day...but if its the only way, then I dont see much of a choice.

suggestions being taken now! LOL

lcstorc

Can you post a pic.
Pretty much regardless if it is algae the way to get it out is manual removal along with decreased nutrients. Sounds like you are working on the decreased nutrients with increased water changes. When you remove the algae you are removing the nutrients it has stored. I often blow it off of the rocks and then catch it with a small net. You can also use a suction hose with a toothbrush and do a water change at the same time you remove the algae.
Ultimately though you are going to need to address the cause of the nitrates to keep the algae gone.
Reduce feeding and rinse all food in RO/DI water are good steps. Running Phosban will also help.

wazzifam

100_5132.jpg

100_5134.jpg

100_5133.jpg

here are a few shots. Popeye the B&W perc. has to be in the pic if he sees the camera. there is a peice of coral under him that is absolutley saturated in this.
the last pic is the sand. its brownish colored and clumpy. The vac. isnt strong enough to pick it out, I have to use a net and scrape it. but doesnt that interfere with the bad stuff in the sand being released?

cbrownfish

Cyanobacteria A.K.A. BGA (blue green algae). As stated, focus on manual removal (siphoning is good for cyano) and nutrient reduction (water changes, GFO, GAC, don't over feed, etc).

wazzifam

Ok so I have tried the manual removal...constant... I started using redslime control. I put it in the tank 4 days ago. The red algea is gone, now I have brownish grey on the sand. Is this still the same algea? or something different? Im gonna do a 25 percent change tomorrow. and put the filters back in. Im gonna put the phosban filter in as well. how long do you leave that in for? is it something I'llhave to use for the life of the tank?

Algea and patience... not a good combo!

Stacef

The brown sounds like it is diatoms, try and post up a picture of that also. That is great that your Cyano is gone. A lot of people battle cyano for a long time! Congrats on that :D

wazzifam

The brown sounds like it is diatoms, try and post up a picture of that also. That is great that your Cyano is gone. A lot of people battle cyano for a long time! Congrats on that :D

Pics arent the greatest, the starfish is over there, just floating over it. LOL

100_5360.jpg

100_5359.jpg

100_5358.jpg

NOW WHAT.............LOL ughhhhh

lcstorc

The red slime stuff is only a temporary fix. Unless/until you find and fix the source of the problem it will come back shortly. Trust me. Been there. Done that. Doesn't work.

wazzifam

The red slime stuff is only a temporary fix. Unless/until you find and fix the source of the problem it will come back shortly. Trust me. Been there. Done that. Doesn't work.

so is the algea in the pics the same? do I need to retreat it in a couple of days or run the phosban or something?? this is sooo maddning!!! its clumpy like the other stuff was.

someone just help me make it right..... :ashamed:

ZAPCOnj

so is the algea in the pics the same? do I need to retreat it in a couple of days or run the phosban or something?? this is sooo maddning!!! its clumpy like the other stuff was.

someone just help me make it right..... :ashamed:

I battled it out with Red Slime for a while. this is what you HAVE to do in order to keep it under control.

1. Water changes timed with Manual removal
  2. Manual removal (be careful not to break it all apart and let it float around and land on other rocks. this helps to spread the red stuff. take your time and get it out in one chunk or with as little disturbance/damage) Use a turkey baster to suck it off the rock or the tooth brush/water hose method. if you have to remove it from the sand, you may want to try the "plastic fork" method. and scoop out the stuff and place it in a net to remove from the tank. this takes a steady hand.
  3. Run a Phosban reactor ($29 online) with Phosban media ($17 online) in your sump or display tank, where ever you can fit it in. many people run it inline with the return to the tank so they don't have to buy an additional pump for it. you run the phosban all the time. consider it a part of your tank system changing the media every few weeks.
  4. rinse/soak any food you feed the tank in RO/DI water.

I used these steps provided by the nice people on this forum and the Red slime is now under control in the 60gal tank!

I tried almost every "quick fix" out there then finally listened to the people here and my problems were on the way to being gone!

GL with the battle!

wazzifam

Today is the day to change the water and determine wether or not to replace filter media or retreat. Ive been treating for 5 days with Redslime remover by blue vet. Im starting the water change now so any input would be great. Here are the pics of what i have before water change.

see the algea against the glass.
100_5382.jpg

This is the current sand.
100_5380.jpg

So what do I do...
1. manually remove as much as poss.
2. syphon as much as poss.
3. refill tank
4. Now... Do I replace filter media (hob) or retreat for another 5 days then do another water change and replace media then using phosban product??

thanks......... standing by...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Kim, what kind of lights are you running on this tank and how old are the bulbs? Cyano favors the red spectrum of light, old bulbs tend to deteriorate towards this spectrum.

wazzifam

Kim, what kind of lights are you running on this tank and how old are the bulbs? Cyano favors the red spectrum of light, old bulbs tend to deteriorate towards this spectrum.

PC 2 12,000 actinic 2 03 true blue, 4 dbl moons. 65 wts each
light is 6 mos old maybe

lcstorc

Kim,
I know you don't want to hear this, but you know what the cause and cure are.
It's the same reason my blue spot club looks like a hairy green monster. Too much food.
Too much food = algae fuel.
It it just a fact unfortunately. Honest. Frequent (and I mean once a week or more) can help. Along with manual removal etc but the bottom line is that overfeeding means too many nutrients which means nuisance algae.
You can get some sand stirring critters which should help with the cyano but then you will get HA or something else to eat the excess.

wazzifam

Kim,
I know you don't want to hear this, but you know what the cause and cure are.
It's the same reason my blue spot club looks like a hairy green monster. Too much food.
Too much food = algae fuel.
It it just a fact unfortunately. Honest. Frequent (and I mean once a week or more) can help. Along with manual removal etc but the bottom line is that overfeeding means too many nutrients which means nuisance algae.
You can get some sand stirring critters which should help with the cyano but then you will get HA or something else to eat the excess.

I really have cut back feeding alot!! and have started to adapt some new things when I feed, such as rinsing the food and such. Im gonna get a handle on that as well.
HA is already forming on my Candycane that has never opened to its potential in 2 months. its alive, it teases me but nothing huge changes. except the HA I found on the head of it today.

100_5375.jpg

so what do you think? retreat or let it run a week and see what happens then?