Red Sea S-650 - Dave's marine adventure

DaveR11

Spoke to Red Sea today - the guy on the phone didn't know but someone will call me back tomorrow

DaveR11

Red Sea called me back today and I had a long, helpful and useful discussion on the LED option for the S-Max. Bottom line is they are still working on the LEDs, they want to get it right before they release anything. I was told there will be an upgrade option for existing S-Max owners in due course. So for me I'm going go with the tank I have on order with T5 lighting rather than wait. I will then look at an upgrade to LED when Red Sea are ready to release them.

With the two Bank Holidays over this weekend here in the UK it will be sometime next week at least before I can arrange delivery so going to chat with my LFS tomorrow night (late night opening!) and hopefully pick up the other bits I will need so that I'm ready for the tank. I also need to arrange at least 3 fit, healthy friends to carry the beast into the house!

I think in the world we live in with its emphasis on instant gratification, rumour spread at the speed of light via the internet, companies are under immense pressure to get new products to the market. Often the consumer ends up finding the bugs at our expense. I would rather Red Sea develop their LEDs so that they integrate seamlessly with their tanks and allow us to keep all the wonderful coral reef life rather than rush out something just to keep up with what the market 'say' we should be buying.....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for sharing !

and I can tell you your new tank with the stock T5s will grow lovely corals !

Checkout glennf's tank to see what T5s can grow, one of the prettiest tanks around...

http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/januarys-totm.89389/

9476866739_b143767d0d_c.jpg

http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/glennfs-300-gallon-dsr-mixed-reef-tank.88764/

Joeys Tank

Very happy to hear about your perspective, Dave! Refreshing.

Good call on getting three buddies to help you out. The empty glass tank alone weighs about 300 lbs.

Salty150

Did you find anything else out about the new Max S coming out...?

Any other upgrades made to it beside the LED?

DaveR11

We only spoke about the LEDs and my decision to go for the tank now was based on the LEDs not being available in the next few weeks. Basically Red Sea will announce when they are ready, have tested their kit fully and are confident it will do the job. I'm going to go with the T5s now and get my tank up and running.

DaveR11

DaveR11

Went to the LFS after work, paid the rest of the money on the 650 plus got some goodies to get me started - 2 x heaters, test kits (NH4, NO2, NO3, PO4 and pH), refractometer and a massive bucket of salt.

Need to talk to Red Sea tomorrow to arrange a suitable delivery date. I probably need to start taking some steroids to get the thing into the house..... So hopefully sometime next week.

DaveR11

Nice!

Are you going to use the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kit?
Not decided on how to mature the tank yet. I know the LFS recommend some sort of kit but which one I don't know. I know they need to order in more rock as they have been selling a number of the new Reefer tanks....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
many choose to not dose anything... just add a couple raw deli shrimp, let them rot - it's what I have always done & many others...

Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

DaveR11

Thanks for the info Glenn, got my test kits on Wednesday night along with heaters, RO/DI unit and refractometer. Just need the tank now (plus rock and sand).

This weekend will be trying to sort the new house out from the move. I didn't get to arrange a delivery date with Red Sea today - too busy at work and with a double bank holiday here in the UK I'm hoping they can sort it out next Tuesday ideally for delivery next Friday..... So maybe in just over a weeks time I will be unpacking the monster.

DaveR11

Well spoke to Red Sea and the LFS today and I should get the beast delivered on Friday. Still trying to sort out the new house after the move and we are busy at work so I must have been very wicked recently as there is no rest for me!

DaveR11

The 650 is now going to be delivered on Monday. I took the day off work on Friday and waited in and got a call around mid day from the delivery firm. The pallet had been loaded onto a big articulated lorry and then they looked on Google maps and (rightly) decided they they wouldn't get it along the streets where I live. They are hopefully switching it to a smaller lorry for delivery on Monday. Luckily I have plenty of time off in lieu having worked the recent bank holidays. I was nice to get a call from Jenny at Red Sea - she had obviously been keeping an eye on my order and its progress. Good customer service.

Still more time to sort out the new house after the move before the beast arrives and takes over the lounge!