Red Sea Max...

olivert00

There is a Red Sea Max in the house...Merry Christmas!:whstlr:

The stand is already together, now where to put it.:confused:

These look like nice little tanks, everything you need.
How is the lighting? Is there any upgrades if needed?

Will post pics from start to finish...what to put in there: Seahorses, 1 med size fish, a bunch of small ones :bouncebox mmmmmmmm HELP!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :snow:

lcstorc

Congrats on the Max.
If you are going to put seahorses in it keep a careful eye on the temp. They need cooler water than most of our reef inhabitants (72-76). Also be sure to only put very passive fish in with the ponies. It is very easy to run into a feeding competition between the ponies and the other fish.
Keep us posted on how you like the Max. So far the only bad thing I have heard is that the fans can be noisy. You may not want to put it in a bedroom due to that.

olivert00

Thanks Lynn,

I was also wondering about the current in the Max, if it would be to strong for seahorses, I will check the manual and see what the two pumps are.

Debbie

lcstorc

Haven't checked on that since I am setting up a 90 for mine. You want enough flow to keep things moving but not enough to toss them around.
What kind of ponies are you considering?
PanManMatt has lots of info including a great place to buy captive bred ponies. I believe it is seahorsesource.com but he can tell you for sure. That is where I will be getting mine since he recommends them so highly.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am interested in how this one performs. It looks nice and seems to be a "Total Package". Keep us posted and CONGRATS!!

panmanmatt

As Lynn has mentioned, temperature is a big concern for keeping seahorses in the all-in-one style tanks. The enclosed lid tends to hold the heat inside. I can almost guarantee you will need a chiller unless you keep your house temperature in the mid to upper 60's all year round.

I had one set up at IMAC last year with a pair of seahorses and the flow was just fine. The nice thing is, you can turn the pumps on/off independently. This feature comes in handy at feeding time.

Xtreme1024

I've had mine for about 6 months now. I had to add a chiller and also added a Tunze for more flow, other than that I think its a great little tank

olivert00

Excellent!

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

It will be in the basement which stay pretty cool, in the summer we have it nice and cool as well.

Debbie

olivert00

Here are some much awaited pics of the RSM, I put a little of my sump LR and some sand from my tank in to start things off...:whstlr:

No hurry long way to go:smirk:

Debbie

Attachments

• IMG_9215.jpg
    IMG_9215.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9212.jpg
    IMG_9212.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9209.jpg
    IMG_9209.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9222.jpg
    IMG_9222.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9220.jpg
    IMG_9220.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 46

olivert00

:thumbup: Just a few more...

Debbie

Attachments

• IMG_9225.jpg
    IMG_9225.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9227.jpg
    IMG_9227.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9226.jpg
    IMG_9226.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9216.jpg
    IMG_9216.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9210.jpg
    IMG_9210.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 45
Excellent!

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

It will be in the basement which stay pretty cool, in the summer we have it nice and cool as well.

Debbie

congrats on the new tank. this was and still is my first tank, and it's great. my only pet peeve about it is that it's a big pain to replace the carbon, because you have to take apart the two pumps.

anyway back to the reason for ''-ing you is that the basement idea might not be as cut and dry as you may think. i don't know what it's like where you live, but i live in CT its cold in the winter and hot in the summer (obviously). but what i'm saying is that mine is in the basement as well, and during the summer my water temp got to like 87 degrees. you might want to invest in the fan add on they offer, and/or possibly a chiller.
if you're questions don't seem to be getting answered try searching for "Red Sea" on this site, cause i know there have been a few other threads on the subject.
Red Sea Max does have a few upgrades on their site

goldenmean

10490d1198729587-red-sea-max-img_9216.jpg

Debbie,
I got that Reef book last month at Costco. The pics are amazing!
My 5 yo nephew and i went thru it page by page and he was asking what everything was. Then the next day we found the dvd in the book and Cody remembered the names of almost everything. He is definitely a reefer in the making! His 3 yo sister watched the video too!

olivert00

Hello Jeff,

So future Reefers in the family...good job. How is the DVD? I havn't seen it yet.
The book is great, I leave it open so any one walking by my tank can see it and enjoy.

I miss seeing everyone at Sharkys :0(

Debbie

olivert00

SORRY! Yes it is...I couldn't help myself.
Sharkys Reef was holding the tank for me seeing it was a Christmas Gift for a friend, so when I picked it up Xmas Eve they had the fakes on the shelf for sale so grabbed one. Funny thing is when I set it up for Xmas Day my family thought it was real also. It is up to her if it stays or not, mind you her boyfriend said if it saves money by not buying real corals then it should stay. :away: NOT if I have to look at it:wave:

Thanks Debbie