Red Sea Max

bpapo

Hello All

I had a 90 gallon reef tank about 6 years ago and I had to get of it for family reasons. Now I am looking at the Red Sea Max and really like it. Does anyone have an opinion on this ? It looks like a nice compact system . TIA

InLimbo87

I'm not hearing a whole lot about it, but last thing I heard is that they are selling it with PC bulbs and marketing them as T5's. I would keep an eye out for JBJ's new system, as it is going to be around that size (around 30 gallons), and is planned to come stock with MH's.

phlyer27

i have a red sea max and love it. i started out with a 24 gal aquapod and moved up to that like i said it great.no problems and the skimmer works great.

MAXreefer

Running my RSM for 4 1/2 months and very happy with it.
The lights are more powerfull as many think.
HQI lights would be a nice upgrade but only if you plan to keep clams or other corals who require those lights. Most corals will do fine with the T5's.
Otherwise the skimmer is doing a good job and the whole system is very easy to maintain.
Michael

RSM060107.jpg

RSM04-04-02.jpg

panmanmatt

Looks great Max. But as others have stated the lights are power compacts only. There is no such thing as a T-5 power compact. I spoke with the rep about this misinformation at the recent IMAC show and was told that they will look into it. Whether anything is done about it is yet to be seen.

We had one set up at the Seahorse.Org display and it was a really nice set up. Of course we only ran it for a weekend so my long term experience is non-existant.

There also may be plans for a newer, larger model in the future.

panmanmatt

Yup I'm sure. The bulbs are double tubed, 50/50 bulbs. One side of the bulb is actinic the other is daylight.

They run both bulbs off one ballast so there is no way to do a dawn/dusk cycle with the lighting either.

boozeman

Michael...that is one sweet nano :thumbup:...I've seen it posted on a ''nano forum'' before.
hmmm thanks for the tip Matt...I was considering getting a nano at work and I think you have just swayed me towards the new JBJ HQI

lcstorc

Does that mean you are going to finally get a tank? It's about time. Don't you think that equipment is a little overkill for a nano? :)

boozeman

:lol: was joking about that with steve yesterday (hooking up my BK300 to a JBJ cube)

...that new JBJ sure looks sweet, was thinking about getting one just to keep me busy here at the store until my home tank arrives :D
hmmm...a pair of clowns and an anemone...maybe some colorful ricordias...a pair of harlequin shrimp

phlyer27

i have had it now for about almost 6 months and love it .i too started with the aquapod 24 and moved up.it was a bit pricey but it was worth it very easy system and the skimmer works excellent.i was debating between the rsm and the new jbj but im glad i went with the rsm that new jbj has been getting trashed everywhere.nano customs/nanotuner really trashed the new jbj and they pretty much know what they are talking about.i called them up and in detail went through all the probrlms and heat issues with that system.so in my opinion i made a good move with the red sea like i said i love it:snshne:

kathywithbirds

They've got one (not set up) at the LFS, really sweet setup, I like the hidden panel for plugs. And the LFS guy knew it wasn't T5. Mike, who does NOT like spending money, was eyeing it.

jnohs

nanotuners
jbj has a 24 gallon hqi dual surface skimmer, dual discharge pumps good for wave makeing, very powerfull lighting and you can buy a skimmer that fits in chamber2 from saphire aquatics and nano tuners has the tank. nanotuners.con

forstral

I have a red sea max also. I really love it :snshne: . I like the fact that the timer automatically turns on the 2 leds when it turns off the daylights. I have a royal gramma, several hermits, snails, and a donor emerald (he hitchhiked with the l/r). I have just added this week a nice candy cane, one polyp of xenia, and a seed of zoa. I have had mine set up for 16 days and the only thing to spike was nitrates. They hit 10ppm by the 4th day of operation but everything has checked 0 for the past week or so. The skimmer works great (if you read the directions correctly, I read them wrong the first time and had it set up wrong until 7/15; set it up on 7/03) duh. I will post pics soon under reef chronicles titled Forstral's Red Sea Max Adventures. That way everyone can see how it is progressing.