Red sea max... Anemone yes or no???

levilee

Hello guys and girls, Iv got a Red sea max 130D all cycled with fish and running lovely. I went to my local fish shop today to have a chat about getting an anemone......... only to be told by the guy in the shop that my lights would not be powerful enough or have the right spectrum!!!!, I was told that if I bought one it would only live for 6-8 months then die, causing problems with water quality which could kill my fish. I could not believe my ears!!!!!!
I would like to here comments if you have the same setup as me, and have had an anemone for at least a year and its still living fine?? Im looking at a bubbletip. Thanks everyone.

carlfike

I'm pretty sure I've read about folks with the 130 keeping them. Worse case add an led light strip IMO. they aren't hard to install.

oceanreefs

LEDs would be a great addition to your lighting, there's hundreds of companies you can contact and they can make great suggestions. I have a Red Sea Max 650 I just got. The lighting is not the greatest in the world so I'm getting ready to convert everything to LEDs I contacted a company in California called rapid LED spoke to a gentleman is name is Michael this guy knows his stuff and he will definitely recommend some good stuff to you for your tank is not that difficult to convert over and I think you'll like the results. Once I get my lighting switched over to LEDs I'll take some photos and post them in the meantime if you like the anemone go-ahead and getting it I think it will be just fine. Philip

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

The fact aside that Nems do require mature (should wait 6 months to add one, some say more...) your stock RSM lights will support one, many members have them & they will even support some clams.

Post us some pics of your tanks :dance:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/51327-rsm130d-stock-lights-ok-bta.html

From the Red Sea Max website... lightening will support.

In long-term tests we conducted on the MAX in our laboratory, the system proved capable of supporting all soft corals (Sarcophyton sp., Lobophytum sp., Sinularia sp., Xenia; Cladiella sp., etc.), all LPSs (Large Polyp Scleractinia, like Euphyllia sp., Plerogyra sp., Nemenzophyllia sp., Trachphyllia sp., Caulestra sp., etc.), some SPSs (Small Polyp Scleractinia, such as Stylophora sp. and Seriatopora), sea anemones, all types of crustacean (cleaner shrimps, peppermint shrimps, hermit crabs, scarlet hermit crabs), sea stars and giant clams (Tridacna sp.).

Rossco46

imo i would let your tank mature, i made the misstake of adding one too soon and it died and wipped out everything

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just curious. When was ur tank established /

I'm Matt n I sometimes water my carpet.

levilee

Ok iv decided to go for a bubbletip under my standard lighting and hoping the lighting is enough, if I notice it looking stressed after a few months I will invest in some LED`s in the hood. ausreef, how oftern do you change your bulbs? I will have my lights on for 12 hours a day.
Thanks again for all your tips guys. Great forum :)

ausreef

i used to change them every 9 months but the last ones were over a year old,now changed to LED,but BTA's are fine under the standard lights