Red Sea Max 500

reeferman

it still amazes me the people who still think rsm cant grow anything other than easy to maintain sps.acroporas are no "easy to maintain" species.my 250 has roughly half the lights that a 500 would.if i can grow acro "forests" with the 250,you should certainly be able to do it with the 500!im not pointing fingers but i think some people like to blame their shortcomings in husbandry or knowledge on the equipment.if i can do it with "basically" stock [skimmer,lights,pumps] then so should others.i dont do anything that others dont do.i am thrilled with my 250 and cant wait to see some beautiful 500s.sorry if this offended people,that was not my intent,just sick and tired of uninformed people slamming the red seas.

redsea reefer

my 250 has roughly half the lights that a 500 would.if i can grow acro "forests" with the 250,you should certainly be able to do it with the 500!im not pointing fingers but i think some people like to blame their shortcomings in husbandry or knowledge on the equipment.if i can do it with "basically" stock [skimmer,lights,pumps] then so should others.

:thumbup:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I agree on the lighting Reggie - based on what you've accomplished, the watts on the 500 should be enough for anything in any tank that size!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I tend to agree with you Reggie. Your tank is living proof of what you can do with a stock system. While I have only had my tank for 9 months, and it being my first ever reef setup, I have it running mostly stock including skimmer and I am very happy with it. Maybe we should all wait until the 500 comes out and see what the final price will be before we judge it too harshly. But as Terry said, I would be waiting several months for any bugs to be ironed out.

proenca

I am one who thinks as no one knows the price yet & that it's going to be priced at a point that will sell thousands, like all the other RSM tanks...

I may be in the minority opinion here, but it make no economic since to me to price it at a point that won't sell, Red Sea has always priced thier tanks at the point that they sell huge quantities.

Lets hope...
1314.gif

All Red Sea has to do... is make the same profit margin as they do all their other tanks - buy, build & sell in quantities.
I think it will come in at around $3,200 US / 2480 Euros and be a great AIO tank.

One thing is for sure mate, we are all comenting on vaporware...

Nobody knows the real price of the RSM500 and we are all debating here without any idea :)

One thing is good is that RSM is listening to what users are saying.

Usually the best products that I know of are from companies who actively listen what their customers want.

Big example comes to my mind, and I'm talking expensive stuff here : Leica

Leica released the M8, a fantastic digital camera but well, flawed.

They listened and incorporated all the top requests that all their user base wanted and released the M9 on September 2009. Street price of 6999 usd / 5500 euros. As of today waiting time is at least 1 month.

My real gripe with teh RSM500 is, for that price, doestn bring anything new to the game - and its too expensive ( even at 2500 euros ) to be "flying" off the shelves on impulse buys...

Who buys a 500 liter tank usually :

1- have previous saltwater tanks
2- knows what they want to keep
3- knows what are the good pump systems, good skimers, top lights etc

So while a AIO is attractive to smaller tanks, if its put in bigger tanks and doesnt bring anything new, I fail to see the point because its not anymore in a cheap or almost cheap segment that people can live with it.

I dont mind having bought a RSM130D and then having to upgrade the rack, the skimmer to a tunze and so on. Its ok, its a little tank.

I wouldnt be happy to do so in a 3000 euros tank and YET still have to upgrade skimmer, pumps, etc to get a top of the line tank.

proenca

Prenca, Thanks for your comments and opinions, and of course for being a much appreciated Max owner.
I was fortunate enough to attend the Interzoo trade show where the Max S-500 was shown for the first time. The over-whelming response from retailers, distributors and experienced reef-keepers who actually saw the system suggests that Red Sea may have produced a system which will meet the demands of many, if not all hobbyists.

We welcome the diversity of opinions into the aesthetics of an aquarium, and of course value for money is always subjective. However to ensure people leave forums with accurate information we should clear up some of the inaccurate comments in order to properly reflect the scientific reality behind the product.

Regarding the lighting, five years of research into coral physiology and the requirements of coral species in a reef aquarium, carried out by our team of scientists enables us to be completely confident that we have exactly the lighting system required for even the most demanding sps corals. As for the benefits (or otherwise) of LED lighting, we will reserve our comments for another time. Suffice to say that we have not simply assembled an aquarium and offered it for sale without very extensive testing into its suitability.
As to the "sub par internals", the entire system has been designed around the goal of enabling hobbyists of any level of experience to enjoy the beauty of a coral reef aquarium. I can speak from experience when I say that I know it performs brilliantly, and once you compare properly the specification it is unlikely that you will come close to achieving the same goal within a similar budget.
However, the aquarium isn’t even available to the public yet so perhaps we should reserve judgement until we see one.
In the meantime I will enjoy being fortunate enough to be able to see for myself the sps corals continuing to flourish in the prototype Max S-500's which have been running for many months, and which Red Sea continues to test on a long term basis. Happy reefkeeping to one and all.

Hi Steve,

First of all, thanks for taking your time to reply.

My real gripe with the RSM500 is, from what I can see, there isnt nothing new to the area. Doesnt bring a single inovation and well... that doesnt makes a difference.

And it could, it really could.

Lights : uses T5 which are used for years and years.
Pumps and Skimmer :nothing to brag about
AIO system : again, nothing new for big tanks : you have Deltec Aquariums, Aquamedic Tridacnas, etc etc BEFORE the RSM130 even was out...
Design : rectangular tank drilled with a cabinet and a sump. hardly new

While, like I said, the RSM130 was a great hit because it was a small, affordable and idiot proof tank, also had a fantastic design.

RSM250 followed on that perspective although I belive its less popular not only due to finantial reasons ( more expensive.. ) but also it starts to be quite comparable to a "normal" tank - the design is less impressive, the interals really limit what you can do, etc. Also what I can see from this forum and from people that I know that own a 250, the majority of them are previous 130 owners - so the 130 proved to be a little good tank and when they step up they go to the 250.

Now the RSM500. Honestly, I really fail to see the point.

I really think that RSM should make it stand out of the norm and being AIO and cheap isnt really enough, at least to me.

I wont be buing it because its AIO and cheap.

Even if you do not want to include LED lights because its a new technology and stil has much to prove, I can understand that. Sad , which I think would be a killer future - try to sell a tank light that gives a superb shimmer effect, costs peanuts to run, has MH kill lights and dont need replacing in 15 years... I think thats a lot of marketing selling points here... but ok, I'll give you that ! :)

But still, there is SO much you could put in the tank to make it stand out and I belive that something that would be VERY attractive would be - automation.

A couple of probes and sensors, a wavemaker, all integrated in a LCD in the canopy, that would attract attention.

I could even live with the 10 x T5 lights, which are fine but again, its nothing spetacular, but they are fine and with the rest...

Integrated calcium reactor, integrated fresh water replenishment, integrated couple of probes and sensor... all in a stylish manner.. NOW THAT WILL BE SOMETHING too look at, if conveninent priced.

Also other thing to look at is, and again this is just my opinion, someone that will buy a 500liter tank is 99.9% likelly to be on online forums, etc etc.. and these forums have a buy and sell area, always.

I just happen to found a 1000l tank, with cabinet and sump, with a Aquamedic Baby 5000 skimmer ( hell of skimmer, owned one ) ...for 1500 euros...

New is new but... always makes you think !

Honestly, I just would like to see that RSM500 with something that stands out and unfortunally , with these specs its just another rectangular aquarium, drilled with bits and bobs that its nothing special.

proenca

it still amazes me the people who still think rsm cant grow anything other than easy to maintain sps.acroporas are no "easy to maintain" species.my 250 has roughly half the lights that a 500 would.if i can grow acro "forests" with the 250,you should certainly be able to do it with the 500!im not pointing fingers but i think some people like to blame their shortcomings in husbandry or knowledge on the equipment.if i can do it with "basically" stock [skimmer,lights,pumps] then so should others.i dont do anything that others dont do.i am thrilled with my 250 and cant wait to see some beautiful 500s.sorry if this offended people,that was not my intent,just sick and tired of uninformed people slamming the red seas.

Hi there mate,

If you keep SPS, you should know and I'm positive that you know that there are acroporas and there are acroporas... some of them are easier and not all SPS are alike... steriaporas are notarily easy to maintain and can take a lot of beating in the parameters... while the 250 is good for some sps, it is not for ALL sps and you must take care where to place them in the tank... have to be placed near the upper part of the tank, really the last third.

But what you said its so true : good husbandary is mandatory and its make it or break it with ANY tank... the thing i love with my little 130D, and bear in mind that my last tank 5 years ago was close to 300 gallons , is how simple the husbandy is.

A 10g water replacement, which is a joy to carry, make and mix, keeps the tank in fastastic health with little work or fuss - an absolute joy compared to the work necessary to keep a full 300g reef running - and the costs of course.

I'm not uninformed about Red Seas : own one and looked at the 250 with great interest... but to be honest, the 250 is much more like a "normal" tank than the 130 and that was I choose it.

Still, you can do better with time and with less money that ANY red sea or ANY all-in-one.... so I 'm not bashing the red seas in general - love it, I pay for the comodity of having everything connected and that someone ( RS ) did the thinking logic for me but I know that at this point, I prefer to afford this ratehr than look for myself.

In the end of the day, a tank is as good as the work you put into it and to tackle its problems...

reeferman

Hi there mate,

If you keep SPS, you should know and I'm positive that you know that there are acroporas and there are acroporas... some of them are easier and not all SPS are alike... steriaporas are notarily easy to maintain and can take a lot of beating in the parameters... while the 250 is good for some sps, it is not for ALL sps and you must take care where to place them in the tank... have to be placed near the upper part of the tank, really the last third.
this is definitely true,but if youve seen my tank you will see many acros,none of which are steriaporas.my species,as best as i can remember are subulata,cytherea,cerealis,valida,tenuis,tortuosa,millepora,echinata,austera,loripes,youngei,and of course speciosa.some of those are easier to care for,most of those not.you can make that determination.ive used mh for years before i bought the rsm and many of those acros were originally grown under mh.many of mine now are frags from those colonies.i wanted the rsm 250 for a while as the looks are second to none.curved glass is awesome.no jumbled cords,furniture quality looks.very nice,neat setup that even the wife doesnt mind looking at!several reefers in my local reef club were growing beautiful colonies of acros under t5s.quite honestly,nicer colonies than mine at the time with mh.im not slamming mh btw,i still love them.i was a little skeptical at first whether or not the rsm 250 could sustain harder to maintain species.there was no way i was going to put my precious acros in a system to let them die,but after my lfs owner,who is a personal friend and i trust wholeheartedly,assured me it would,i got it.ive have been thrilled with my decision.with t5s,you already know to put acros up high[from 1/2 up]and youll be fine.with mh you have to find the sweet spot.t5s can do anything mh or leds can do.just because theyve been around for a while doesnt make them inferior.newer technology isnt always better.i say to red sea,if it aint broke then dont fix it.if you were to put everything in a setup that you listed above,it would EASILY put $5000.00 in the rear view mirror!especially with the equipment manufacturers that you would demand.lights for the setup is gonna cost a grand at least,with all the digital displays probably a lot more.

i do think red sea got away from the looks that theyre known for,especially the curved glass.but maybe with that really cool light setup,i could forget about the glass.that hood is really sweet.im not really in the market for a new tank and dont think i will be purchasing the 500 but its definitely not because it wouldnt do its job.any tank you put together could always be made better.but there has to be a point where a manufacture has to stop with the bells and whistles to make money and keep the product affordable.most of the things you listed are really unnecessary to keeping a successful reef anyways,and isnt that what its really all about?

reeferman

also,why are you assuming my params are "beating" my corals?if someone cant maintain water quality,its not red seas fault!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice find Terry & my price guess looks like it might be close & I still believe they will bring a product to the market that will sell in quantities.

The RSM 130D did incorporate improvements over the 130 and the 250 model improved on the 130D - I like the fact that the design is still undergoing changes & they want their top customers to look at the Max S500, give them some needed suggestions.

I am betting the RSM 500 will be a winner !

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
They may be considering changes based on feedback in forums - that may be the delay, and a good reason for a delay!

lethal

Good find on the info Terry. Not a bad price either, but i'm sure by the time it gets downunder, I could add a couple of thousand to it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

Being they have been running the pre-production model for over six months now & they do have a team of scientists and engineers on staff - I bet they have learned a few things too from running the tank, that they want to improve, along with feed back from dealers & "top customers" which the RSM Club represents as well as any collect of owners there is anywhere.

Will be fun to watch & see...

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
OK folks just a little more information and clarification on the Max S500.

There have been a lot of comments about rounded glass etc and I'm going to get more information on the reasons for not using it, I personally think it is due to the fact the S500 will be constructed from 12mm optically clear, (low iron) glass and is more difficult to work with, again a challenge on cost for anyone to get a quote in this high grade glass over normal so you can see the price comparison for yourself.

The S500 as SteveH has stated was first shown to the Aquatic Industry at Interzoo 2010 this was not a finished product and yes there has been comments made that will have been taken into consideration so what you have seen so far is NOT the final specification, I will keep you up dated.

I am sure the wait will be worth it.

Red Sea Kev

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks Kev. That glass thickness and low iron glass may be a good reason that rounded corners can't be manufactured.

lethal

Oh come on Reggie, i'm sure you could find some room if you really tried lol.