Red Sea Max 500

David Shaw

Well i guess we will have to wait and see what the price tag comes in at.

For £3000 i think that would rule me out. Too much to spend, especially with all the additional live rock, fish etc needed to stock it.

I would prefer to wait it out to see what others thought of it first, at a price tag of circa £3000 i certainly wouldn't want to rush in and be one of the first to try it, prefer to hear if it is truly a mod free tank and runs as well as a £3000 tank hopefully should.

JimmyJ

A custom tank would seem to be the better and more economical alternative IMO.

I agree Terry. My LFS has a custom 215 gallon tank for sale that comes with eveything from the stand, skimmer, light hood (MH/T5) and all the plumming for $2900. If I only had the room....

colaboy

Hello everybody,

The same guy as last time (VERY experienced and well known aquarian, but still :D) claims to have had contact again with Red Sea Europe and he now writes about the tank measures:

130 x 70 x 70 Cm's and a total height of 165 Cm's.

Also supposedly new generation T5 (???) lighting will be used which generates a lot less heat....

Just thought it was interesting to let you guys know...

Cheers and nice weekend,

Ramon

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks Ramon!

130 x 70 x 70 Cm's and a total height of 165 Cm's.

for us non-metric people.....

4.3 feet x 2.3 feet x 2.3 feet, and a total height of 5.4 feet

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hopefully "new generation" T5 doesn't mean they aren't standard size, like the 130 bulbs are. I haven't heard of any new types of T5 bulbs coming out.

Max250

I've heard the next generation of aquarium fluorescent lighting with be T2s, but they wont be as good as the future LEDs. Maybe they just mean T5HOs, lol.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
There are T5VHO bulbs that have an internal reflector inside the bulb. I have no idea if those run cooler than T5HO bulbs?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
My mistake - I meant T5 V-HOR bulbs that have an internal reflector inside the bulb. The 180 degree reflector supposedly gives a 40% light increase. Made by UVL, but I'm not sure if they're the only ones that make them.

colaboy

Hello everybody,

Just to put our beloved RSM's a bit into perspective... :-D Yesterday for the first time I visited somebody from a Dutch forum to buy some frags...

This guy had a STUNNING 2.2 meters (7 feet 2.6 inches) in wall tank! Never seen something alike.

Coincidently he just bought a RSM130 that day. I couldnt figure out why, so I asked: He just bought it for a quarantine tank!!!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE :D :D :D

Nough said..... :)

Ramon

tnwillia

I guess with a 2 meter tank a 130 would be a drop in the bucket, I guess it would make a great full time QT. Must be nice!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Ramon - Interesting on the 130 QT tank! :) But, a lot of reefers have sumps much bigger than my 130.