red sea max 130d

tonyroma1161

I just got my red sea max 130d , got a quick question ..Im doing a FOWLR tank, so if i dont use a skimmer i will be ok right? 20 lbs of live rock 20 lbs of live sand, 2 clowns and a goby, im not overstocking... Filter media basket.. 1 poly fiber 2 purigen 3 Chemi-pure.... Is this set up fine just the way it is...?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I guess you'd be "alright" but honestly why NOT use a skimmer? All it's going to do is make life easier for you in regards to water quality. It works hard 24/7 so you don't have to :)

Welcome to RS :wave:

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
wel21_e0.gif

reefer gladness

I would use a skimmer also. FWIW, I run Poly-filter, Purigen and CPE in my sump - all before the water hits the protein skimmer in the return chamber and I still collect a fair amount of gunk.

Someone on the forums summed it up pretty well for me - fish stock add to the bioload, CUC reduces the bioload and corals are neutral. In other words, so long as your are stocking fish you need to balance out the bioload. Fish will probably be more tolerant of water quality issues than corals but they'll be healthier, happier and more active with pristine water.

PS, if the noise from the stock skimmer is a bother (it was for me). There are some skimmer options that are much quieter, I'll vouch for the Turboflotor 500 being nearly silent.