Red Sea 225 Mesh Filters

SPR

Hi guys

I have been using these and when I change them I have just been rinsing with the garden hose and putting them back in. They are the MESH version not the felt.
I have just purchased 4 more so I can rotate them and also clean them.
When I take them out I was going to then clean with water and put into a bucket with some form of sterilising solution in it to kill anything nasty
I make wine etc and use VWP for that which is a sanitiser and just wondered what everybody uses for this ??
I was intending to leave them to soak in the solution and then rinse with the hose before putting them back in the tank but I am new to this and don't want to kill any of the inhabitants by doing something stupid!
Any tips greatly appreciated

DaveK

If the mesh filters are coming clean with using the garden hose, that is about all you need to do. If you are having a hard time cleaning them, I have found that running through the washing machine with no soap does wonders.

If you feel the need to disinfect them, you can use bleach. Make sure your using plain old blech with no other additives. I use a double rinse if I'm doing that. If you worry about the bleach, you can use any of the chlorine remover products made for aquarium use, such as SeaChem Prime.

I would avoid the use of VWP because the manufacturer doesn't tell us what is in the product.

Reactions: SPR

DaveR11

I just wash mine with a shower head. Gets them nice and clean and they are so much easier to clean than the 'felt' type ones I previously used which were impossible to get completely clean.

SPR

Thanks guys. I'll just keeping using the hose then Just wasn't sure if they needed some form of sterilising every now and then.