Red Flashlight

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Cheapest way is to cover the lens of a regular flashlight with a thickness or two of red cellophane or some type of clear red plastic if you can find some. I've never used one myself. The lower the brightness of the flashlight the better I would think.

Heffe01

Look at a hunting or Army thift store. They also have red LED flashlights that are alot brighter. The old army angle flashlights came with different color lenses that are screwed into the base of them. Most times you can find them dirt cheap.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Folks use them to look in the tank at night to see critters that are only out in the dark. The red light doesn't disturb them as much, otherwise they'd go hide again.

mzreenie

Great - Thank You all.

I have this strange HH who only comes out at night, and if I shine a regular flashlight on him, he goes back into his hole in the rock. He looks like a white elephant trunk, about 1/2 or 2 inches long, maybe some kind of worm? He never comes completely out of his hole, so that if the light shines on him, he retracts right back in.

mzreenie

I looked at Walmart today, in the midst of Christmas Shopping, and they didn't have one. But I will keep looking.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
mzreenie - did you look in the sporting goods department at Walmart. The red flashlight would be used by hunters to avoid scaring away what they're hunting. Another option might be a camera/photography type outfit that sells darkroom (photo developing) supplies - they use red lights while developing film, to prevent exposing negatives, etc. to white light. Another option might be a clear, red cellophane wrapping paper - you could just place a couple layers over the lens of a normal flashlight.