Ready, Set, Wait! Our new RSM 130D

npollard

Well after a year of mostly joys and a few sorrows we have grown from our AP24 to a RSM 130D. Now instead of being in the home office we get to enjoy it in our family room.
Here are the additions/mods:

•Tunzee 9002 skimmer
•InTank skimmer collection box
•InTank Media basket- running purigen, Chempure elite, filter floss
•Vortech MP10
•TECO 200CA Chiller/heater
•30lbs Tonga Branch coral
•10lbs Marshall Island coral
•30lbs Fiji pink substrate
•Stock lighting

RSM Start up Pictures pictures by nonni_p - Photobucket

I don't know if it is easier to be patient this time (knowing what we have learned) or if it is harder (knowing the fun that lays ahead of us!)

Last edited:

Oakhouse

Welcome! It was me asking about TECO! LOL... How do you find it? Any problems?

Love love love your rockwork!

npollard

We got a great deal on the TECO at our LFS. It has kept the temp right on. We like the fact that it heats and chills not two different machines fighting against each other.

We love the Tonga branch but someone told us that it may not be able to filter the bio load once we add coral and a few fish...

Does anyone have experience with a Tonga only tank?

Oakhouse

Thanks npollard, thats why I was looking at it. Do you have it on an external pump or running from one of the internal? Think when the time comes I will definately go for a teco.

In regard to the tonga, not sure.. Others I with more experience will jump in, I'm sure.

npollard

It's running on an external pump. Its's a MaxJet 900 pump in the center chamber and outputs into the heater chamber.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Crew!

I was surprised to see all the branch rock - that has become difficult to find these days. Looks very nice, with lots of spots for corals, and good circulation through the rockwork. I've never heard of the Tonga branch not being able to handle a lot of bio-load, and can't imagine why it wouldn't be able to, unless it's more dense than other rock? Maybe someone else has heard something. Corals don't really add to bio-load (unless you feed them), so they should be no problem. With all that branch rock you probably have more surface area than you would with large hunks, and the surface is what gets populated by bacteria.

mzreenie

npollard, can you give me some information about the TECO. I just tried researching online for TECO 200CA chiller/heater and couldn't find anything. I did find a website for TECOUS, but their chiller that would seem the right size for a 130D was a TECO TR5 or something like that. I could find nothing with a number like 200CA. Thanks and welcome to RS.

npollard

mzreenie,
TECO is an Italian company so TECO-US must be the US distributer. Ours was a used older model so they may have newer model numbers now.

oneate7

I've never heard of the Tonga branch not being able to handle a lot of bio-load, and can't imagine why it wouldn't be able to, unless it's more dense than other rock?

Based on what I've read I think that the denseness of the rock would be the issue. Most other pieces of rock are more porous and have more surface area that's exposed to the water. Think carbon nanotubes... if you're into that sort of thing, lol... otherwise think sponge :makefun:.

Anyway, I'm VERY new to the hobby so I really don't know how/if that will affect the system's ability to handle the bio-load. Either way I think your rockwork is VERY nice. That's the first tank I've seen with that much tonga in it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Marc - you may be right on the denseness. I was outside earlier today looking at some old pieces of dried up liverock I had tossed outside on a rock pile and noticed how porous it is and filled with holes. Pieces I broke up for rubble in the past were very porous inside as well. But, there's quite a bit of Tonga in the tank so hopefully it's enough to handle the bio-load of future fish. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the broken ends of some of the Tonga do seem to show some porosity, which would be good. I'm certainly no rock expert!

npollard

Thank you for your input, it sure helps throwing the ideas around!
Well we are hoping it will work ok. I've included a couple of close up shots to show how porous it is. Not as much as fuji but since we will be concentrating on corals and only a couple fish it should be ok :)
Rock-3.jpg
Rock-2.jpg

Rock-1.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Love your rock - if you look - exactly the same LR I have, you will have no problems with this rock ... many would Love to have it, it has become very hard to find !

You are off to a great start !!!

Tank-2-14-10.jpg

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums and the RSM club, with lots of very nice members
745.gif