Quick ID

drew1

I suspect this will be answered quickly. Is this a Majaro, or something more desirable? If it is a majaro are they undesirable strictly because they can take over an aquarium quickly? Or is this the weed versus wildflower dilema?
Thanks, Drew

Attachments

• closeup.JPG
    closeup.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 60

ReefLady

Staff member
Hard to tell. I'd almost go with a polyp (Palythoa or Protopalythoa). IME, majano's look more like a baby bubble tip anemone - the tentacles are different.

Here's a Majano sp.:

majano_anemone_548.jpg

And here's a polyp (Palythoa sp):

jmartinbuttonpolyp_400.JPG

Different Palythoa pic:

Palythoa_sp_EST04.jpg

You decide. :)

framerguy

Does it have a calcareous skeleton or grow directly on a rock? It resembles very strongly my Duncanopsammia axifuga. It is more likely a palythoa, but it sure looks just like my duncans.

drew1

Thanks for the responses. Up until a couple days ago I was certain they were Majanos, but then suddenly they developed more of a Palythoa appearance. With a new bulb (14K) their colors also became more vibrant, to the point I really like the way they look now. We do have other Palythoa around the tank as well as Zoanthids, and their appearance is really quite similar. So I guess for now they will stay. I hope I don't regret this in the long run.
Thanks, Drew

drew1

Framerguy - sorry I forgot to respond on my last post: They do not have any kind of skeleton. Simply attach to the rock and grow.

When we had majanos, we kept them for awhile because they were kind of pretty and weren't hurting anything. When they started to spread too much we nuked them before it got out of control.

I thought your pic looks like some palys, but maybe another picture with more light would help id them better.