RS STAFF
The "Question of the week" for this week is:

rsz_3p1010016.jpg

Blue Space's 20g QT tank with "Friend"

What's the perfect tank size (and why)?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I actually have 2 "Favorite" tank sizes.... and both for the same reason..

120g (48"L x 24"D x 24"H)
240g (48"L x 48"D x 24"H)

Both have very eye pleasing dimensions and both look very well balanced no matter what angle you view them. Both have PLENTY of space for just about anything you'd want as far as scaping goes and the 120g will fit almost any floor plan that a 4' tank will fit. It's usually fairly straight forward going from say a 55g to a 120g and the 120 really increases that WOW factor when it's all set up and established.

DaveK

Like some of the other questions of the week, the only really correct answer is "It depends...". What might be right for one person would be totally inappropriate for someone else. Choosing a tank size is a bit of a balancing act in that you need to consider many important factors.

I would consider the most important factor being, what do you want to keep in the tank? For example, if you want to keep dwarf seahorses the tank sizes mentioned previously. of 90 gal, 120 gal, and 240 gal, would be far too large, because of the feeding requirements. On the other hand, if you wanted to keep a small shark species, all of those tanks would be too small.

Also important is you budget. The bigger the tank, them more it's going to cost you to set up. No point in trying to set up a tank that you can't possible afford. While we are on the subject, you must also consider the cost involved with running the tank. Electricity, salt, food, test kits and so on are all ongoing expenses. Your also going to need to replace equipment from time to time. Long term salt water will damage just about anything. Over time, you will likely need to replace lighting, pumps, heaters, filters and filter media.

Then you need to consider your space and lifestyle. If you only have 3 feet of space, there is no way your going to fit a 4 four tank in there. If plan to move in a few years, it's a lot easier to move a 30 gal tank than a 90 gal tank.

Personally I tend to like larger tanks. However, some people have created some real gems in small tanks. It depends...

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Great question. Of course space constraints dictate tank however a 40b is a winner about anywhere. Just a peewee tho. 220 is a winner. 6' long deep enough just a tad tall to reach into but the height is a viewers delight. The 4' 240 is too sweet just doesn't fit anywhere I have. Just saw a 1000 gallon tank. 13' long 24" tall n 4' deep. There's the winner.

.............I'm feeling salty.

sk8rdn

I always said the perfect tank was the one where you can swim with the fish you have invested so heavily in... :)

engineer goby

Personally I like a 180 6'x2'x2' plenty of depth good length perfect height and it's not to big that the cost of salt and lights would sink me.

Doogle

It depends on space , budget, and what your into. Pretty awesome nano tanks floating around. Love the look of a tank
( regardless of size ) full of corals. If you like fish you'll need a bigger tank. Either way big or small they are beautiful, the more coral the more I like them. I honestly love fish but I think coral overrides them.
Been liking the minimalist approach alot more lately. Also really dig cubes! A cube in the center of a room,that is tall enough for my 6'4" self to enjoy without bending over to look at.

TheBishop

A tank that is no more then 24 inches deep. Any tank that i cant reach the bottom with my arms is a pain in the you know what. perfect tank would be for me 6 foot long by 24" deep

TylerHaworth

I think four foot 120's are the perfect small large tank... Also, I've never seen one but I think a 72x36x24 (250'ish gallons) would likely be the perfect six foot tank.