Question about Zoa's

BigJay

Thats a hard question to answer. Some zoo's do better with less light then others. I hate to use the watts per gallon number here but I'd say at least 2 watts per gallon on average for flourescent lighting.

new reefer 03

i dont go by WPG, but i have rought 4.5 WTB. i have 260W of PC over my 55g, and i have zoas, ans Palys thriving, and reproducing in my tank

BigJay

if your talking about your PC lighting in the 70g tank . Yes it should be plenty for most all zoo's.

SeaLover

Yea I have a 75 gallon and want to get some zoa's.. All I have is a 48 in Coral life light with power compacts and actinics. And lunar lights. So that should be suffcient huh?

new reefer 03

that will work. its working in my 55g, and the only difference between the 75, and 55 is width.

here they are when i got them ( 11-29-08 ):
3006.jpg

here they are 1 week ago:
2-22-09SONY667.jpg

under 260W Coralife PC fixture, with 130W 10oook, 130W Actinic. the second pic was actinic only, to show them at their best.

BigJay

most zoo's won't feed at least not on any of the commercial food products out there for sale. There are some reports of off the wall foods like urchin eggs producing a feeding responce but good luck finding some. The colony polyps usually tend to feed (yellow colony and button polyps are an example). All the rest get there nutrients from the zooanthallae and water.
If your tank paramters are good and you don't have any fish that like to make lunch with zoo's I say jump right in. They affordable, come in every color of the rainbow and tend to grow fast. IE very rewarding especially to new people to the game.
I would do some research on palythoa toxins though. Just so you know the danger of handling zooanthids. Don't fear it.. just respect it.

BigJay

yup search the forum. You'll find lots of info. Like I said its nothing to fear , but you should respect it.

dmyers557

Always wear gloves and you should not have to worry about the toxins. Zoo's don't need much lighting at all, but their color will vary depending on how good your lights are.

Basically is they a extending to get som light you done have enough...

I recently got some Bam Bam's that they were 1" long within 2 days they were hugging the rock...

The gut I got them from obviously did not have enough light...