question about Triggers....

Nigma

are all trigger fish aggressive and not coral safe?

kinda makes me mad!!... i like how triggers look... but i also like coral...:cry1:

bandr1002

there are a few that are reef safe. my personal fav is the blue jaw triggerfish. you could also get a pink tail triggerfish or a sargasim triggerfish. just make sure that all of your shrimp are introduced first.

MrPex

there are a few that are reef safe. my personal fav is the blue jaw triggerfish. you could also get a pink tail triggerfish or a sargasim triggerfish. just make sure that all of your shrimp are introduced first.

Tankwise, I can't say. But after living in Guam for a year and a half, I never met one that wasn't willing to bite at me when I snorkeled or dove through it's home territory. I bled more than once from them meanies! But they are truly gorgeous fish, and definitive of the tropical experience, IMO.

Nigma

blue jaw trigger fish,pink tail triggerfish or a sargasim triggerfish whats their temperament? are they all bitey Meany lil beautiful lil fudgers?

mr pex. i am jealous. that u can just dive out and c cool fish.... but not much of your bleeding.

bandr1002

my blue jaw was a sweet heart. he never once ever tried to go after my hand. he got along great with tank mates. as for the other two, i have never owned them. my best friend owns a pink tail (my second fav), and he was an aggresive eater, but never took a bite of the hand that feeds. sargasim triggers are a little more tricky to acclimate and get eating, but once they do they make a wonderful addition to the reef.

my fav (as stated before) is the blue jaw. in nature it is a fish that eats zooplankton from the water column, making it a less aggresive fish towards your shrimp and smaller fish. i would suggest this trigger over the others.

Nigma

oh cool, the blue jaw does look cool

my fav trigger is the humu humu .... damn those crazy colors!

69frogs

Hey this may or may not sound crazy but.....I have a niger triger in my reef reef tank with shrimp, crabs, clowns tangs gobies and many other tank mates. I have not had a single problem.

Nigma

damn dude.. ur lucky... but be careful, i read on other forums how a clown trigger turned nasty after years of being peaceful.... and killed a bunch of fish and shrimp..

69 frogs?... gross.

Frankie

RS STAFF
No Trigger is 100% reef safe. All will eat small fish and encrustations. Most will rip chunks of rock and corals off to get to small crabs and shrimp.
The ones mentioned above are the most docile of the bunch doing well if fed properly. If I was going to try one in an established reef it would be the Crosshatch Trigger. They have never been known to cause any trouble at all.

GGG

Just my experience but I have a Blue Jaw and a Niger Trigger in my 100 gal reef and they are great. Never have any issues with them. My black blenny is more agressive. I'm looking to add a Crosshatch and Sargasim when I find the right price and size.