Quentin and Shell's JBJ 28

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^ look forward to the new pics !
009.gif

Robzilla

Cyano's biggest enemy is flow. How many GPH do you guys have in there? What is your feeding schedule like while we are at it?

Welcome back you two!

Uslanja

Hi Shell! So good to see you back, it just hasn't been the same!! Ah, cyano..... Rob is right on when he states that cyano's biggest enemy is flow.... probably one of the major reasons that we increased the number of power heads back in the beginning...... and no cyano!!! Glad you're back... regards to Quentin for us!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+3 don't know if you have a vortech like the mp10, but adding one really helps with the flow & will really help with cyano, it one of the keys to whipping it.

ShellB

Picture Time! :)

Front...
DSCN1830.jpg

Left...
DSCN1831.jpg

Right...
DSCN1832.jpg

Pierre...
DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1844.jpg

Leather Coral...It's grown quite a bit!
DSCN1834.jpg

DSCN1836.jpg

DSCN1842.jpg

Some snailies and the rocks...
DSCN1838.jpg

DSCN1837.jpg

Fiske didn't want to come out for pictures but I heard him clicking while I was taking the pictures. Hopefully he comes out sometime so I can get some of him! :)

ShellB

Thanks everyone! We're pretty happy about all the progress that's been going on inside our little ocean!

QuentinB

Leigh... I don't know how to tell you this... That's cyano :( It is kinda pretty though, just messy.

I forgot who asked about flow before, but we have our stock pumps, I believe they're 266 gph each, alternating; two Koralia Nanos at 425 gph each, running constantly; and a maxi-jet 900, which I think is 230 gph, also running constantly.

And our feeding schedule is about once a week, just to keep the shrimp going and wake the nassarius snails up.

I think those were the only questions? Anyway, hopefully we'll get a new fishy to occupy our tank here soon! Now that it's finally looking to be clearing up... Thanks for checking in everyone, it's good to see some new faces around too!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ok, understand. I'm battling a bit of that at the moment too but only on the sand.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Quentin - on the cyano, when you do water changes, do you or can you - just siphon it off the rock easily? I know that would really help if you could, it has to be growing from some nutrients & if you can siphon it off while doing the water changes & even if it grew back some, it would have to use up nutrient to do so... I know a couple of times when I had it, I used a 1/2 diameter hose & the suction was strong enough to work for me - after sucking out all you can, blow the rest off with a turkey baster to suspend it, while finishing the wc - hope this helps :)

ShellB

Hello Again Everyone!

After a long four month hiatus we're back! We've been struggling with a lot of problems and to be quite honest a lot of death and destruction happening in our tank. We've lost Pierre; we're not sure what really happened to him. One day he was doing fine and then next he was lying on his side in the back cavern of the tank, then not even a day later he disappeared. The leather coral seems to still be thriving. He has successfully grown off of the original rock he came on. He's now fanned out across a larger section of our rockscape. And of course Fiske is still down there somewhere. We hear him every so often and see him sneaking out to scavenge every once in awhile. Because of all of the things that have been happening with the tank lately I have affectionately (and finally) named our tank....drum roll please.....The Death Star. I'm currently looking for the perfect fish to take on the role of Darth Vader, Leia, Luke and of course Chewie. Quentin doesn't quite know it yet but I think I'm going to slowly start naming everything in our tank after the Galactic Empire. :eek:lsmile: For some reason it just seems appropriate.

The lights are off now but I'll try to grab some quick pictures tomorrow. Our plans for the tank include getting some snails to help clean up the mess that is currently growing. A whole series of water changes and hopefully the introduction of a new finned friend sometime soon....after everything is stable again. We figure the plans will move into full force in a week and a half. Our spring break is coming up and of course we plan on taking advantage of it to go somewhere a little bit warmer than the North Dakota River Valley! We'll be headed down to Kansas for a week to enjoy some time with Quentin's relatives. I'm looking forward to not having to wear a winter jacket for awhile! :snow: