Quarantining other than fish

Orcrone

After my recent ick outbreak I've learned my lesson about the importance of quarantining fish. But what about other than fish? Snails, hermit crabs, shrimp, feather dusters, corals, etc. I'd assume everything needs quarantine. But what do you look for? I know inverts can carry the ick parasite but not show any signs.

Inverts do not "carry" ick, but rather the water they are shipped in can contain the parasite. So you should QT all inverts as well. All it takes is not washing your hands between two tanks and you can possibly transfer the parasite.

Orcrone

Inverts do not "carry" ick, but rather the water they are shipped in can contain the parasite. So you should QT all inverts as well. All it takes is not washing your hands between two tanks and you can possibly transfer the parasite.

But what do I look for to make sure no ick is in the water with the invert?

Orcrone

I appreciate your responses, but still confused. If I quarantine a fish and notice pop-eye I'll treat it with an antibiotic and verify it's cured before putting in the DT. If I quarantine a fish and notice white spots I'll treat it with copper and verify it's cured before putting in the DT.

What criteria do I use to verify a shrimp, feather duster or snail is safe to introduce to the DT?

Time my friend... about 2 weeks minimum in QT for all inverts. You cannot expose shrimp, crabs, corals, nem, etc. to medication. Ick will die without its host

opiea1c

ick is a parasite that cannot live forever without a fish to attach to, in other words as courterbobby stated 2 weeks qt for anything other than ick should be fine, be warned that parasite can attach to anything rocks, sand, filter, another reason they say to never use the fish store water, i acclimate slowly and all fish store water goes down the drain