Quarantine Tank

Snelly40

ok.. so i have read and read and i know the benefits of a QT tank... ive mever had one...

:)guns::guns::duh::duh::hammerhead::hammerhead:)

ok, now that you're inner monologue is done yelling at me...

how necessary are they? If it is completely so i'll add one, when one QT's a fish i get the acclimation and i get the "looking for disease / parasites" however, what if they show no symptoms... do u guys still medicate for any number of things? the only time i had brooklynella (sp) in a tank was forever ago and the clown was healthy for 3 years and was the only fish in that tank... i guess im just unsure a QT would have prevented something like that...

Oxylebius

You never know what diseases or parasites will come on any new fish you get. Observing a fish in a QT can provide the benefit that if the fish begins to show signs of disease, then you have already been able to contain it away from your other fish. And makes it easier to treat.

You can go years w/o issue, but it only takes that one time where you didn't QT and a new fish introduces some disease to your main tank, that you'd wished you did use a QT.

Some fish are also more prone to certain parasites, if you get a fish like that you can always treat w/meds right away and get rid of them before they go into the main tank (some wrasses for instance).

It is your decision.

If you want to learn from others mistakes, then get a QT. Observe all new fish for a good month. If signs/symptoms show up, then you can medicate appropriately.

Snelly40

thank you, that's what i was and am looking for. I do want to add one, i guess i was seeing the right process. So add to qt and observe, i assume the stress of travel will make most parasites and diseases show up then i can medicate. Thanks OXY! i knew someone smarter than I would chime in...

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I agree with Sue. QTing is great but it does take some planning but it can really help you keep a problem free display tank.

Admittedly, I've become too trustworthy of divers den and rolled the dice a few times but that was with leopard wrasses which are on the better side of the risk spectrum especially with ich concerns

If I were starting new, I would certainly qt

Snelly40

thanks! yah im going to set one up, i have spare heaters and pvc and plenty of water.... instead of cycling a qt can i use water from my current DT? I have not seen any mention of that for some reason