Quarantine Sponge Filter Placement in RSM??

alphasierra

I am looking to seed my small sponge filter from my quarantine tank with nitrifying bacteria from the RSM which has cycled.

Where would be the best location (at the back) to place the small sponge filter in the RSM tank in order for this to happen.

I would also like to keep one sponge filter in the RSM so I can setup a quarantine tank quickly any time it maybe required.

Note: I have cut the original black foam in half and also have the thin white filter pad.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/38832-rsm-adventure.html

Thanks
AS

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If it won't cut the flow could it just be kept on the left side of the skimmer, or maybe above the skimmer pump? You could even keep it behind your rock if you have room. I think the bacteria would die if they weren't kept nourished with ammonia/nitrites, so seeding the sponge and then keeping it in a fishless QT tank may defeat the purpose of seeding it? Or just put a dirty RSM filter pad in the QT tank, if the need arises to use it, and use the dirty pad to seed the other tank and sponge?

alphasierra

Thanks for the response Reefmack.

I would just like to clarify...

If it won't cut the flow could it just be kept on the left side of the skimmer,

RSMbacksectiondisplay.jpg

Do you mean position number 4 in the diagram? If so, that sounds good, but will it still be able to gather bacteria since it's downstream?? Wouldn't just above the skimmer pump be better?

The plan is to keep one in the RSM so I can place the sponge in the QT straight away (ie: when new fish arrive or in case one becomes sick). I don't intend to keep the QT running unless some stock is in it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hello alphasierra - I can't see the diagram as Photobucket links are blocked here at work. But, I do think that just above the skimmer pump would be the best place.