purple long tentacle anemone. help!

mxsnow144

hi im new to this fourm. i have a 55g reef tank and i just started a 30g tank its fish only for now but i just bought a purple long tentacle anemone off the internet and put it in my 30g tank 5 hours ago. it went behind my rocks and its like a dark purple almost black color. its it dieing?

forestal

how long has the tank been set up. What are your water readings (temp, salinity, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)
what lighting do you have for the tank?
Anemones require pristine water conditions and ideally should not go into tanks less than 6 months old. When stressed they will move around to find a more suitable location and if very stressed often will hide.
pictures would be helpful as well

DaveK

... its it dieing?

There is a very good chance of this happening. You placed an anemone in a tank that was just set up and possibly not even fully cycled yet. However, you might get lucky. Often anemones need a few days to adjust to a new system.It may pull through.

In the mean time, keep an eye on it. It it starts to decay get it out at once.

Slickcg33

Too warm, salinity too low, nitrates too high, not enough light, and aquarium not mature enough.

Too warm - Not true. as long as the temp isnt jumping around 81 is fine
salinity too low - True. try 1.026 natural sea water
nitrates too high - Not true. 0 is preferred but 10 wont harm anything if everything else is in order.
not enough light - True. you'll need t5 or mh to maintain a LTA in good health
aquarium not mature enough. - True. usually a recommended period is 6 months, for a couple reasons. First, the tank is less likely to have mini cycles, and also you will have more experience in keeping the tank stable.

you should probably take it back to the lfs until you do some more research on the animal.

forestal

looks like a bta with a good amount of zooxanth and is likely dark brown as is shrunken down and trying to maximize its light. You can keep them under lights t5's, and even flurescents. MH not necessary. However, the adv. of t5's and MH is they penetrate deeper, flurescents dont'. Flur. may not be strong enough. I would feed it mysis daily, and keep the water pristine, weekly water changes and slowly bring your salinity up to 1.025-1.026 and I think you have a fair shot. the anemone although stressed looks healthy to me.

Hemlock

stable is the best, when I put mine in, the tank was 8 months or so and it will move all over the place until it's happy,(Then Add Coral) Don't change anything too fast or it will most likely clone itself (split) When it thinks it's going to die or when conditions are unstable as it does in nature.

Johnly

stable is the best, when I put mine in, the tank was 8 months or so and it will move all over the place until it's happy,(Then Add Coral) Don't change anything too fast or it will most likely clone itself (split) When it thinks it's going to die or when conditions are unstable as it does in nature.

do you associate with Hemlock the band? Back to topic, time is key with salt