Pump for Phosban Reactor

tex5620

I currently have a biocube 29. I am wanting to add a phosban reactor to it and want to put a pump in chamber 1. Does anybody know of a pump that will fit and give me the appropriote flow rate. I have never used one but I think it has to be around 90gph or so. Correct me if I am wrong.

framerguy

Another option that I use is to "T" off of the return line, add a valve for flow adjustment and possibly a union fitting to remove the unit for cleaning, and route that to the inlet of the reactor. No new pumps to buy, you use what you are already using anyway. It works for me.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am not so sure this is a good idea for your size system. What do you plan on putting into the reactor?

tex5620

thinking some kind of media like chemi pure or phosban. why is my tnak to small for it or something. I just saw a bc29 once on another forum and he had it set up like this somehow. I'm not set on this so maybe I should be asking the pros and cons of doing this. I need advice from the masters.

panmanmatt

I use a MiniJett 606 running to Phosban reactors daisy chained together. One with Phosban and the other with charcoal. Pump is turned all the way down and flow valve is only about 1/2 open. Low flow is better with the Phosban. More contact time for it work.

tex5620

I thought about the minijet 606 but I was just wondering about what frankie was saying. Is my bc29 too small for this kind of reactor. I know it is rated for 150gallons but I didn't think it would be a problem. I have a skimmer in chamber 2 so I would have to put the pump in chamber 1. So if I do two of them. One with phosban and another with some kind of carbon I can piggy back them and the minijet will be enough for the job?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Your going to strip the water clean of pretty much everything if you piggy back them like that. I would not run that much carbon. All you need for a tank that size is about half a cup in a mesh bag in the filter chamber. knead it every other day or so to prevent channeling.
Phosphate removers can also have a negative impact on live stock. That much GFO running is also going to kill off your clean up crew because there won't be anything for them to clean.

panmanmatt

Just because you run a reactor doesn't mean you have to fill it up with the media.I run mine less than 1/4 full of Phosban and about 1/2 full of carbon. This is on a 70 gallon system so I know I am under what they recommend. Just add the amount you need for your system.

mps9506

Just because you run a reactor doesn't mean you have to fill it up with the media.I run mine less than 1/4 full of Phosban and about 1/2 full of carbon. This is on a 70 gallon system so I know I am under what they recommend. Just add the amount you need for your system.

Ditto to this. I've always used rowaphos, but I ran about half what they recommended anyhow. Every tank is different and will react differently. Best advice is to start out with a small amount and gradually increase the amount you run. And it does need a fairly slow flow through the reactor. Fast enough to keep the media from compacting, but fast enough to keep the media from crumbling away into your display tank. The reactors are a nice easy way to see the media and make sure the flow is correct.
Or, you could just put it in a nylon bag and place it in one of the chambers. I haven't played with the biocubes so have no idea if this would be a good idea though. Not sure what kind of flow goes through them.

reefsmoker

Not sure what kind of flow goes through them.
I just installed a phosban reactor in my fuge T'ed off the return two little fishy instructions say 20-30GPH just so the media slightly tumbles on the surface, rowaphos in my case only about 50ml about 1/12'' of media. phosphates haven't been over .25 since....i'll have to find the camera and get ya some pics

I use a maxijet 400 dialed back with the ball valve that comes with the TLF reactor ... i like doing it this way because once a week i open the valve wide open and let it run for about a minute or so ... this way it breaks it up once a week and keeps it from channeling and compacting inside the reactor .. and kinda kicks up some detritus and such that sometimes can settle in there ...

I think that is the best for my application ... :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yes, Not filling it all the way is a good idea. Used for carbon and it's going to pack anyhow. That is what carbon does. If you can keep it tumbling that would be great. The problem with that is it will also break down and turn to dust over time. You will need to find the right rate of flow.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the reactor. I am working on an idea that just might solve these issues soon. I'll post more at a later time when i have time to build my idea.

reefsmoker

Another option that I use is to "T" off of the return line, add a valve for flow adjustment and possibly a union fitting to remove the unit for cleaning, and route that to the inlet of the reactor. No new pumps to buy, you use what you are already using anyway. It works for me.

I've t'd off my sump return as well the whole system works wonderfully I've had consistent reading of .25 phos from 2 days after install with only about 2 inches w/foam approx 50ml of rowaphos and it's hidden down in the stand, very streamline.