Pulsing Xenia, kind of pulsing...

A couple days ago I added a frag of pulsing Xenia to my nano. At first it pulsed really good, but the frag plug it was on was getting moved around and way too close to my GSP in a 10 gal, so superglued it to some live rock further away. Since then, it is in a different location, a little less flow, but it was out of the water for about 45 seconds to a minute. It is now lying down and faintly pulsing. It is not degenerating in any way though. Is this normal from shock of being out of the water? There is also a mushroom in its very close vacinity, not sure if that makes a difference either. If I have to rip the plug off the rock I will, but I'd rather not... Also this frag is super super small.. like thumbnail small..

Thanks guys!

Joe

Uslanja

Hi Joe! The only thing I can tell you is that we had a similar experience. The Xenia seemed to be suffering and laying over, getting smaller. But after a few days it attached itself to another section of rock, where it was lying down, and then separated into two Xenia and now both are doing fine. I've also noticed that ours likes a little bit of flow that has it swaying in the current, any other type of flow seems to bother it. Not sure if this helps, but good luck with it!
Dace & Tracy

I believe it has less flow than before, but for a 10 gallon tank, I have a HOB filter and a Hydor (non koralia) power head thats blasting near my GSP (which it loves) but the flow is also hitting numerous parts of the tank as well. I'll give it some more time. I honestly believe in the 5 days I had it, I can see more baby stalks coming out... but maybe it's just the main stalk is getting longer..

essmaker

PREMIUM
It may be stressed after its journey. Iwould give it a couple days before moving it anymore. If it still doesn't perk up then try moving it to more flow.

Was it more or less light in its old location?

That's a good question, and to be honest with you I'm not sure. I got it from a guy who sells frags and I'm pretty sure he was using Compact Fluorescents, as I am I. I have (2) 20 watt 50/50 CF bulbs on my 10 gallon.

GlassMunky

I'd say just give it a little. I've got a bunch of xenia and i've had some out of the water longer than that and they are fine. its probably just adjusting to its new spot. it should perk up soon though

ok thanks guys.. Here is a picture, not sure how much it will help, but it looks healthy to me.

''

it's as close as I can get without my crappy camera getting blurry. It's near the white plug. it was on the outter edge of the plug so I had to lie it down...

OHmariner

Jeez that thing is tiny! from what I can see it looks like it just needs some more time, hard to be positive though

joewell

I have xenia and I can tell you that:
1. The like good water flow
2. They like light
3. Ph level has to be good
4. And not everyone can keep them.

Here are a couple of hints:
1. If the xenia pulses about once every second that means you have good ph
2. I really do not think it's a good idea to have xenia in a nano tank. They can take over like weed.

I got my first xenia and info from a guy who has been keeping and supplying Lfs for over 15 years!

tnwillia

Xeina are weeds, the one thing you can count on is it will recover and spread. I'm no fan of them, it took me 7 months to get 98% of them out of my tank (from one very small single stalk frag) and still they pop up in spots. Good luck!

OHmariner

Pardon my thread hijacking.....So are the Xenias that bad about spreading? I havent experience a coral that spreads too fast (yet) and I was wondering just how bad it gets...does it get so bad you have to start fraging the coral every week?

I have a 12gallon nano and I wanted some pulsing xenias but I dont want a PITA coral either

joewell

Once they get established they will spread fast. The white and blue xenia grow much slower. It's the red/purple xenia that will grow fast!

Well if they start going nutso I'll take action... I'm just hoping to get a few stalks growing on either the frag plug or the adjacent live rock. There isn't a lot of room in that 10 gal. Hopefully there won't be a war between the Xenia, GSP, and Green mushrooms.

GlassMunky

Ok, I'm gonna jum in here with another question. Up untill now, all 5 of my xenia frags have been doing great, always fully extented and pulsing.I have 3 that are just purle/pink and 2 that are purpleish with silver stripes. I noticed yesterday night before i went to sleep and this morning when i woke up that the 3 just pink ones are now shriviled up and look emaciated, while the ones with the silver line are still doing fine. All the other corals in my tank (Zoas, GSP, Mushrooms, Birdsnest, Monti) are doing great, all have new growth. ANy idea why some of the xenia are "sick" and the others are OK? I'll check my paramiters when i get home tonight, but any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. .....Sory for thread-jacking