pulsing xenia died

carp51

does anyone know why my xenia might have died? my water parameters are perfect im very anal about my water.the only thing i can think of is my water temp got a little hot a couple of times 81 but i have fan evaporative cooling on a timer andmy temps go down to76 to 78 fairly soon. would this kill my xenia.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
It's died cause you are anal about your water parameters lol

They like semi dirty water.

Alien2100

Lol, no but really that's a pretty big water temp swing, 3 to 5 degrees in a sudden time frame. My change is no more then 2 degrees from day to night. I'm sure there are a lot of things that could have contributed to it's death but that large of a water temp change is not helping it or your other corals.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'm serious xenia doesn't like clean water, a lot of people can't keep it alive and others that can't keep it under control, difference is mainly water quality.

GlassMunky

Yea, I had like 5 frags of xenia after i first set up my tank. nitrates were at like 20 or so, and i'm not sure about phosphates, but i knkow they were there. (algea growing) at this point, the xenia were totally happy. Slowly over the next couple months till now, my water has gone to much beter levals, 0 Nitrates and phosphates, and slowly the xenia started to one by one shrink up and shrivel away, till there was only 1 left directly in front of my 660Gph powerhead (not sure why this one was still doing great). Anyway I gave away my frag to the LFS so it wouldnt die either.

aaromano

xenia crashes sometimes. I think I have seen reports of it related to temps on the high end. What can happen though is it will regrow from little bits of tissue that are left behind.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
All of the above :LOL:

Yes Xenia tends to thrive in less than ideal (but not terrible) water conditions.

That's a hefty temp swing but not the worst I've seen. I'd like to see it minimized as much as possible. The oceans are VERY stable in most respects and any changes (not including storms, man made crap (BP) etc) take place over a long period of time and rather slowly. This doesn't include places like tidal pools and shallow lagoons. The majority of the worlds oceans are very stable.

Xenia crashes for no reason at all. The FLIP/GOOD side is that it often comes back in a few months better than ever if any of the tissue is left (even if you don't see it). This isn't always the case (some tanks can't support Xenia long term) but usually is the case.

Good luck and Happy Reefing!!

jcgardner

I had mine for over two years, it was splitting like crazy, then one day it just started to look ill and was gone in less than a week. I have a lone survivor but it hasn't grown at all, it is just a tiny little spot the size of a dime.

dewey

My xenia also retracted for few days and I had 4 stalks. 3 of them came back with vigor and the 3rd didnt make it. I cant yet figure out why. Remaining 3 are fully extended and pulsing. The one that died left a little blob on the rock and hoping it would come back. Xenia maybe a beginner coral. But, I love the pulsing action.

OHreefer

My tank is pretty clean and it's doing fine. My temp during the day stays around 80. Sometimes things are a mystery.