Protein skimmer suggestions

mbecker847

Hey everyone. I got a 34 gallon tank and am in need of a protein skimmer. I don't have a sump so it has to be a hang on the back skimmer. I also would really like one that is very quiet (my tank is in the living room so I don't want it to be overbearing). I was thinking a reef octopus is the way to go, but I am open to suggestions...

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

mbecker847

Also i just noticed I put this in the "SW fish only" section... my bad! I have a reef tank. Still learning how to navigate this forum haha

reefle

hello and welcome!!!

I'm using a Red Sea Prizm Hang-on Protein Skimmer on my 46 gallon but will have a sump up and running soon. (will still use the red sea in the sump).

I've only tried one HOB skimmer, Aqua C Remora. Nice quality and pretty quite. Not sure it's the best, always hard to gauge performance for me. Since I don't feed a lot I don't get a lot of skimmate so... yeah :dunno:

Hey everyone. I got a 34 gallon tank and am in need of a protein skimmer. I don't have a sump so it has to be a hang on the back skimmer. I also would really like one that is very quiet (my tank is in the living room so I don't want it to be overbearing). I was thinking a reef octopus is the way to go, but I am open to suggestions...

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've used an Aqua C Remora and currently an Aquamaxx. I think they are both good but prefer the Aquamaxx for ease of use, sound, and the pump is outside the tank.

Steve L

As I type this I am sitting 7 feet away from my 70 gallon reef tank with a Reef Octopus BH 2000 HOB skimmer. It's very quiet and works great. My daughter has the same skimmer on the 40 gallon tank in her bedroom. There is no trickling water noise and just an ever so quiet hum that doesn't bother anybody.

I have an LX 2000S on a tank in another room and it has kind of a loud water trickle noise in the overflow section, but the pump is very quiet.