Problem with Vortech?

Nowellsy SNR

Hi guys my vortech has just arrived set it up and when its in Short Pulse Mode im getting a squeaking noise when the propeller slows down is this normal as its a new pump?

Other than that im loving it awsome pump

tnwillia

Anthony... I'm deaf so if mine squeak I don't know it. Is it really "squeaking" from the wet side or could this be just very minor alignment needed?

I judge mine by vibration a very small movement between motor and wet side make a big difference. I'm assuming you did change the thickness pad on the motor to 10mm/ 3/8" that is what the 250 needs as that is not the "out of box" default. Good luck!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tom is correct on all counts - if you move the wet side around in very small increments you may be able to get rid of that noise. There are times I've even been able to move the dry side a teeny weeny bit for a final tweak. It's pretty important to get the wet & dry sides aligned just right to get rid of vibration/noise (as well as getting the glass thickness set correctly, as Tom noted).

Nowellsy SNR

Tom your the man thanks buddy sorted more more noises

Whats the best setting would you say?

I have it on Reef Crest at about 50% power

Its awsome well worth all that money

tnwillia

Terry's right your not. It took me a while to figure out how to pull the motor & pad apart to change the thickness and a couple of days to find the SN# on the controller for registration (I looked everywhere but on the controller) This is all about learning and passing on.... Good luck!

tnwillia

I'm using reef-crest, up to about 65% now on both sides. Much more and I don't like how it blows my softies around.

In your tank with your fish and your full 360 flow/swimming area I'd play with pushing it up higher and find the balance between your coral and the smile on your fishes faces! Play with it & have fun with it!

tnwillia

Badfinger..... I've not seen an MP10 so can't say for sure. Look at your RSM manual, I think it states the glass thickness. Once you know that you can change it if needed. You have to pull the pad off the motor to see the placement settings, but the Vortech book explains that pretty well. Someone with an MP-10 will jump in here to help you. Good luck!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
When I asked customer support about the best setting for a 130 (8mm, 5/16" glass) their reply was to use the setting for 3/8" glass thickness. This was for an MP20, but I think the same would apply to any of the Vortechs.

Hi - my Vortech MP20 is being delivered today. The glass on my Red Sea Max tank is 8mm (5/16"). Is the 1/4" pin spacing the best choice or would another setting be better?

Thanks again,
Terry

Terry,
3/8" would be a better setting.

mbdave

I wish I was paid for everytime I have been a dumb ass retirement would not seem so far away......:)

ausreef

Badfinger the MP10 is different to its big brothers, it doesnt have a pin spacer,instead it comes with a rubber shim for thinner tanks,with the 130 you just fit it without the shim