Problem with Clown?

shelden816

i bought my clown on sunday and today when i got home from work i noticed some white discoloration on his right side by his fin... What could this be and i also noticed some white film on my rocks... could this contribute to it???

shelden816

OK so now i noticed that there is like a white film on him and he is using one fit alot more than another... LFS said it was a non harmful fungis... anyone agree???

Roots

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your fish..... It sounds to me like he was already very ill when you got him considering the short amount of time it took for him to pass away. Could have been Brooklynella, a.k.a. Clownfish Disease. It can cause sloughing off of skin and milky colored film and skin lesions as well as white spots similar to Ich and from what I understand it can kill quite rapidly. If you get a sick fish from a LFS they will almost always try and claim it is not sick or that it's a normal stress and acclimation issue which is not true. However it may not be the LFS's fault per say since a lot of fish come from the wholesaler in sickly condition. Always quarantine new arrivals and watch for any sign of disease and have the medications for common problems on hand. Things for Bacterial infection as well as fungal infections and something for parasites as well. Also in some cases a freshwater dip can help to alleviate some maladies and give you a little more time to medicate and nurse a sick fish back to health before they succumb to the disease. Good luck in the future.

shelden816

Thank you, it sounds like u were right on the spot. I bought some fungis stuff from the lfs last night but i guess it was to late. Going to wait a couple weeks, do a 20% WC and then put a damsel in or something and start over. Thank you for the advice!