preparing to buy...

Uncle99

Understand what you want to keep
Understand what size of home they need
Understand what you need to feed
Get water parameters perfect...test kits
Never add what you can’t test for...and have fun

Novors

Great! I’m already looking, starting with a 1200mm tank. 425xl Reefer or the Max S 500. I like the idea of it all being ready, but I think I’ll learn more if I need to source some top equipment.

Uncle99

Of course depends.
I like to source each thing separately looking for what I need to provide the best environment I can afford.

Either way does not matter, it what's inside the tank that counts and how stable we can make it.

I make a lot of use from Amazon as price is great for staple things and dry goods, pumps, filters, kits...etc....sorry LFS but your margin is high

I oversize my skimmer and use a deep sand bed, with lots of available LED light. Lots of ways

I keep a record of tests weekly and common dose adjustments.

SPR

Great! I’m already looking, starting with a 1200mm tank. 425xl Reefer or the Max S 500. I like the idea of it all being ready, but I think I’ll learn more if I need to source some top equipment.
The thing to also bare in mind is that it depends were your putting it etc.

Mine is in a living room and I wanted a beautiful piece of furniture, rather than a science experiment with wires everywhere, and that’s why I went for the Max S 650 in my case. They are simply stunning. More importantly everything is hidden away. Well as long as you don’t look behind the back we’re the wires are lol!!

I was also completely new to any form of aquaria (see my build thread) and that’s the other reason I went for the Red Sea Tanks as they are plug and play. But you can also add to them later as you learn and change things, like for example the skimmer.

There are many ways to do things, but enjoy the ride and learn as much as you can. And I would go as big as you can otherwise you will probably regret it later once you get hooked!

Novors

I want mine to look super tidy too, so that makes the max more tempting. I've heard the skimmer is noisy, which gave me a touch of concern to start with. I'm not used to forum systems much, but I will try and find your build thread to get some ideas. Thanks.

SPR

I want mine to look super tidy too, so that makes the max more tempting. I've heard the skimmer is noisy, which gave me a touch of concern to start with. I'm not used to forum systems much, but I will try and find your build thread to get some ideas. Thanks.
I wouldn’t let the skimmer put you off. The C Skim 1800 is fine to start with and works as it should, it just that there are better and quieter skimmers on the market. As you learn and get hooked you will constantly search for ‘something better’ wether it be a skimmer, scraper, magnetic cleaner...........

I eventually swapped to the NYOS Quantum 160 which is silent and much better, but it’s not a major cost in the scheme of things and very easy to change out.

My build thread is here:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...uns-red-sea-max-s-650-led-design-build.96917/

dbetts

We will see how we get on them! I ama few months away yet - research has to be my first job

Very smart! Research is key!! And forums are your bestfriend when it comes to questions. There are some awesome people on the internet that have a lot more experience than most LFS employees. Happy reefing!! Be sure to show us your journey as you go with pics.

Novors

Thanks for that. I’m seeing so many lovely fish and coral pictures it’s driving me nuts! Better get researching then...

Novors

I wouldn’t let the skimmer put you off. The C Skim 1800 is fine to start with and works as it should, it just that there are better and quieter skimmers on the market. As you learn and get hooked you will constantly search for ‘something better’ wether it be a skimmer, scraper, magnetic cleaner...........

I eventually swapped to the NYOS Quantum 160 which is silent and much better, but it’s not a major cost in the scheme of things and very easy to change out.

My build thread is here:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...uns-red-sea-max-s-650-led-design-build.96917/

Novors

That is a good detailed report on your goings-on with the set up process and of great use to me. It’s encouraged me no end and there’s a good chance I’ll go for the Max S 500. As you say, I can change stuff as I go along, looking for something better as you put it.

Reactions: SPR