Pregnancy & Reefing...

SaltyQueen

This may be kind of an odd-ball question....

Does anyone know anything about whether or not it is safe for pregnant women to handle certain marine creatures? I know that many critters can sting or are toxic- so I'm wondering if it is safe for pregnant women to handle corals, anemones, etc. without using gloves??? Usually anemone stings don't bother humans too much, but I'm wondering if somehow the toxins can be trandferred from mom to baby, & possibly harm the baby?

I just ask because I plan on getting pregnant next summer... :)

jks1

When my wife was pregnant and i was at sea she did water changes etc for me with no problems

wooddood

the wood dude
good question,i dont know the answer but sure would like to.anyone else know?i'll tag along on this one.

ScottT1980

Hmmm...I doubt it but it is a possibility. I think that as long as you use the same precautions (especially around zoos) that we all use, then you should be fine. Most aquarium toxins appear to be fairly benign unless you are allergic to them. You definitly would know by now if you were allergic and if you aren't then I would say you (and the baby) should be fine. But, I would definitly ask your doctor (he/she might know a bit more about human reproductive physiology than me and more about potential complications with pregnancy but I can assure you he/she is probably not going to know about coral toxins).

Beyond all that, if you are allergic, then I would reccomend you stay away from the tank. Prostaglandin release, glucocorticoids and hypoxia caused by anaphalaxis could certainly harm the baby. Although, I am unsure if you can combat these affects with epinephrine as far as the baby is concerned...

Just my thoughts based on my knowledge...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Last edited:

SaltyQueen

I'm a nurse, and I don't even know- I think this really is something that has never been researched adequately. As far as using epinephrine for an allergic reaction- that's a big no, no during pregnancy, but, like you said, I'm sure I'd know by now if I was allergic to anything in my tank. I think the safest thing for pregnant women would be to only touch critters if necessary, and then to always do so with gloves on. Maybe when I go for my master's this can be my research thesis topic--- then I can use University money to play with marine critters! :p

ScottT1980

Originally posted by SaltyQueen
I'm a nurse, and I don't even know- I think this really is something that has never been researched adequately. As far as using epinephrine for an allergic reaction- that's a big no, no during pregnancy, but, like you said, I'm sure I'd know by now if I was allergic to anything in my tank. I think the safest thing for pregnant women would be to only touch critters if necessary, and then to always do so with gloves on. Maybe when I go for my master's this can be my research thesis topic--- then I can use University money to play with marine critters! :p

Yeah, I tried to get some of my master's reproduction research work done with some of the more exotic critters but you just can't find funding. So instead, I am shoulder deep in dairy cows (yes, I do mean literally)...

Perhaps ask your OB/GYN, I would be curious to see what they would say.

Take er easy
Scott T.

SaltyQueen

I asked the docs at work, and none of them knew anything about it- for people who aren't reef-freaks, it's kind of an obscure topic... I'll check out some research journals & report any findings.

Shouder deep in cow--- eeeeeeewwww! :barf:

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I've never read anywhere where there is an inherent problem, you should be careful with the chemicals you use in your tank (course you should do this pregnant or not) and use precautions when handling your critters...your a nurse...steal some powderfree latex gloves for working in the tank ;) Also there is a bacteria that can be found in aquaria (rarely) that is communicable to humans, it is fish tuberculosis Mycobacterium Marinum, again though this is something you should always keep in mind.