Prazipro bloating..?

jlaw

Is it normal for a fish to become bloated and lethargic after administering prazipro?

Search tools brought up nothing.

Thanks RS!

Last edited:

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
I've heard of lethargic, but not bloated... But you may wanna wait for Lee's input (he's the expert)...

...Moving On, Moving On...

jlaw

Thanks sk8, day three of treatment and most bloating has subsided. Maybe the fish were (are) trying to pass an internal parasite.

Quite strange though.. My super healthy never had a spot of ich Naso, swelled up like a balloon.

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

Bloating not likely related to treatment. Body fluid retention causes bloating.

More likely symptom of bacterial infection i think...

Im not the expert though, wait for Lee.

jlaw

Thats very odd. I have had my naso maybe 5 months, never had a spot of ich, never had any thing. Very fat, always swimming the whole length of the tank, ALWAYS hungry.. Now he is not eating.. Kinda floating around like sunken bouy.

This started maybe 1 1/2 hours after first treating the tank. 75ml PP in about 200g total water volume.. SO BUBBLY! Today I did a 30% WC and added another 40ml. SO BUBBLY. First dose had 0 effect on my eye flukes (visibly worse on infected fish, new visible infection on another fish) didn't kill any of my tube worms/cocos

I've been told double the dose recommended by hakari, hense the almost 1.5x initial dose.

Something tells me Dr. Lee will know lol.

jlaw

Btw I have 5 clams ranging about 3-14in, many many corals.. BTA, many ornamental shrimps of various flavor. Zero ill effect noted.

I hope my fishy is ok, he is my favorite. good ol horse face.

StirCrayzy

Time out, you are treating the Display?

That is scary. I couldnt imagine taking that chance with inverts / corals.
Plus it takes a lot of meds to keep the levels up.

Also whatever is causing the problem in the first place is obviously rooted in the display.
QT is best so the fish can be isolated and treated away from the possible causes in the most controlled environment possible.

Im not sure the best course of action at this point, hope someone more knowledgable chimes in .

leebca

I know of no side affects from administering the proper amount of Prazipro and following the instructions that come with it.

jlaw

Very scary. I have been doing ALOT of research over the last two weeks. Ive read hundreds of testimonials on 3reef, RC, RS.. Most have had success (98%), I have found only a few bad posts, where loss of life has occurred. Almost always accompanied with the use of other medications as well.

Sat here staring at the bottle for days..

Im very well aware the risk I am taking. I am just unable to set up a Hospital tank at the moment. Baby on the way, kind took over my only available space. I have 4 large-Xlarge tangs.. Six weeks.. AT LEAST would be the amount of time I'd want my DT empty.

Unless I could set up a fairly large tank ( what 150g..? ), dont you think that would be to stressful.? It's just not possible for me right now either way. Trust me I wish it was.

I've put a lot of thought into it, and felt this was my last option, other than watch my fish suffer. Couldnt do it.

I do have a friend with a 150 mixed reef, and I am monitoring do diligently for any signs of distress to the corals and clamys. If I see anything looking slightly pissed it will be taking a ride down the road.

Thanks for the input brother, it is very much appreciated, my fiancée and I are new to the hobby.

ItzGenX

So what was the ending to this story?

I ask because I have the same thing happening to my 3" naso. All of my fish have been in a hyposalinity QT for a week. I added API "general cure" which is metrozinadole and praziquantel powder. I added this stuff because my foxface had one cloudy eye and white poo dropped out of my naso tang. Also in the same tank are 5 blue green chromis and a 2-1/2" white bar maroon clownfish. Before adding the antibiotics, all the fish were eating and very active. 12 hours after the meds, I noticed that the naso poofed up like it was on steroids and pulled an all nighter lifting weights. The eyes were somewhat puffed up and out too. At the same time I noticed that all of the fish now do not eat besides the chromis. The water chemistry all comes back fine besides ph at 7.9. The one I am most worried about is the blimp looking naso. I am sure the others just lost their appetite from meds. Any idea what the naso is going through?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

leebca

What are the treatment instructions on the API product? Is it to be added to the DT? in what quantity?

jlaw

So what was the ending to this story?

I ask because I have the same thing happening to my 3" naso. All of my fish have been in a hyposalinity QT for a week. I added API "general cure" which is metrozinadole and praziquantel powder. I added this stuff because my foxface had one cloudy eye and white poo dropped out of my naso tang. Also in the same tank are 5 blue green chromis and a 2-1/2" white bar maroon clownfish. Before adding the antibiotics, all the fish were eating and very active. 12 hours after the meds, I noticed that the naso poofed up like it was on steroids and pulled an all nighter lifting weights. The eyes were somewhat puffed up and out too. At the same time I noticed that all of the fish now do not eat besides the chromis. The water chemistry all comes back fine besides ph at 7.9. The one I am most worried about is the blimp looking naso. I am sure the others just lost their appetite from meds. Any idea what the naso is going through?

Well... Things seemed to have gotten better on their own.. I ended up dumping an entire 16oz bottle in my tank.. And it did nothing but stress my fish out. Didn't kill one feather duster or fan worm.. Didn't clear up my sailfims eye.. Didn't cure the black ich on my LT.. I ended up running carbon 13 days in, to remove the PP, and get my skimmer back on.. So, PP for me, was a waist of time, swelled my naso up like crazy, fish stopped eating, and it seemed to have zero benificail help.. But who knows maybe a got a bad bottle, I just ended up feeding like overtime, and things got better.

Lost my mimic tang, swallowtail, and lyretail during treatment.

No corals were effected at all. Not one, not even a little.

I have zero sign of infection now..

The amount of PP I added was supposed to be good for 1600g...

jlaw

Maybe I never had flukes to begin with.. I really don't know.. I had something though.. And PP (for me) didn't do jack (unless you count pissing my fish off) I'll stand behind that. Feed lots, make sure your water is pristean. Hope that helps.

Btw I feed PE mysis, and lifeline. 4/5 times a day. My fish are VERY fat, and quite happy. Haven't seen any sign of infection in a while. Even added new fish, nothing wrong with um. Stumps me.

ItzGenX

API uses powdered form in 10gal dosage packets(each dose 48hr, recommended treatment 96hr then water change and carbon). I was at about 42 hours total today. I think praziquantel is what caused the Naso to swell up like a tampon since all the fish have been exposed to metrozinadole before with no probs. I got home from work a few hours ago and performed a 75% water change since the naso was so swollen, its eyes looked like protruding buttons about to blow off. Poor guy couldnt even rotate his eyes to look at me. He had to turn his whole body to look at stuff. I also went ahead and added tetracycline after the water change to prevent him from any further damage. Hopefully he deflates back to normal size and be fine soon. By the looks of it, I dont think I will ever want to use prazi with a Naso involved. They must be allergic to it.

jlaw

Why did you treat in the first place, I doubt that the naso's are allergic. Can't say what makes that happen though.

ItzGenX

I was treating as a 'just in case' since all my fish are out of the DT. I am doing an 8 week fallow period and treat for any possible internal parasites. That way there won't be anything to pass around since they think each other's poo is food.. After all is well I will give them a 20 day chloroquine bath in case any of them are carrying brook, ich, or velvet. Foxface had cloudy eye and the naso had white stringy poo prior to any treatment.