Power Out!!!

redneckgearhead

You are correct, you would be blowing roughly 17% vs. 21% atmospheric O2. But you would also be blowing 4% CO2 which is much more soluble in water than O2 (~ 40x more). So the net result would be increasing the CO2 in the tank much faster than the O2.

Wow good info to know

cindyp

this is ridiculous blowing in the tank. Saran wrap. LMAO!
a few of you must be physics "the power will only be out 6 hours" famous last words. I wouldn't put my tank in the hands of the local power company.
but I do agree it depends on the size tank and the live stock actually thats all I agree on.:)
really beginning to wonder if this is Reef Sanctuary or the Cartoon network. but I'm still LMAO....
Hmm... maybe I took a wrong turn on the information Highway

steved13

PREMIUM
Cindy, The original post asked the question. Some of us are trying to help answer. I'm not sure how someone can be a physic?

The thought that you can't keep a reef tank without a generator, might seem quite ridiculous to some.

redneckgearhead

a few of you must be physics "the power will only be out 6 hours" famous last words. I wouldn't put my tank in the hands of the local power company.
but I do agree it depends on the size tank and the live stock actually thats all I agree on.:)
really beginning to wonder if this is Reef Sanctuary or the Cartoon network. but I'm still LMAO....

Wow is all I can say to this. we all gave OPINIONS to this questions. IN MY OPINION the average tank could last 24 hours without electric AND in that time I would monitor the temp and after a few hours test the water params. Again THATS MY OPINION.

McTeague

The thread is not about "what you agree with", it is about discussing the topic of the original post. The thread is also not about your opinion that this forum resembles the "cartoon network".

steved13

PREMIUM
Also, If you put yourself in the original posters shoes...He was told at the alst minute, after the stores in his area had closed that he will have a 6 hour power outage, and ovbviously he is afraid that this may be devestating to his tank. I would be trying to think of anything that might help, even something that someone may deem ridiculous.

As far as the 6 hours goes, that was the original post. I'm no lawyer any more than I'm a physic...but I would bet that you could find one to take your case if you exerienced a major loss due to the fact the electric company told you to plan for a 6 hour outage and it turned into a much longer one. If anything I would think they would be conservative and give themselves some extra time.

cindyp

Cindy, The original post asked the question. Some of us are trying to help answer. I'm not sure how someone can be a physic?

The thought that you can't keep a reef tank without a generator, might seem quite ridiculous to some.

^^^that is a ridiclous statement^^^ of course you can keep a reef without a generator or battery backup or a skimmer for that matter. what I am saying is it makes sence to have some insurance so when not if the power go's out you can keep your investment alive and happy. I know its not fun putting money into things like a power source when there's all kinds of pretty stock to buy but its part of the commitment we make when we decide to have our own little ecosystem in our homes.
for example I met this newb that is buying fish and corals left and right but won't shell out the 50 bucks for a good test kit. now he's asking why are my corals dieing? I said what are your params he says I dont know I dont have a test kit. what is so hard to understand??
what I was saying by the physic comment was.......
YOU NEVER KNOW HOW LONG AN OUTAGE WILL LAST!!!!.............

steved13

PREMIUM
Dave, most of us are here to help in any way possible. The VAST majority on Reef Sancuary believe there is no question that shouldn't be asked and actually encourage all questions. I am very new here myself, but I have no life so I spend a lot of time here :) I am not trying to speak for anyone else, just letting you know what my observations have been.

Please let us know if any of this has helped, and how you made out during the power outage.

steved13

PREMIUM
^^^that is a ridiclous statement^^^ of course you can keep a reef without a generator or battery backup or a skimmer for that matter. what I am saying is it makes sence to have some insurance so when not if the power go's out you can keep your investment alive and happy. I know its not fun putting money into things like a power source when there's all kinds of pretty stock to buy but its part of the commitment we make when we decide to have our own little ecosystem in our homes.
for example I met this newb that is buying fish and corals left and right but won't shell out the 50 bucks for a good test kit. now he's asking why are my corals dieing? I said what are your params he says I dont know I dont have a test kit. what is so hard to understand??
what I was saying by the physic comment was.......
YOU NEVER KNOW HOW LONG AN OUTAGE WILL LAST!!!!.............

I think you mean psychic.

The fact is I'm not a psychic...when you post:

if youre willing to spend the money to setup a reef than a little extra money to make sure it stays alive and well should be very important look at all the equipment people buy a good skimmer will set you back 500-800 or more but spending 400-600 on a good generator is too much thats silly IMO.

battery backups are not expensive at all.

who's knows for sure how long a power outage will last? 6 hours? maybe?maybe not!

a battery backup is not gonna run MH anyway.

you do not need an electrician to use a generator.

I have to add one thing I guess if we are talking a nano or other small tank then yeah why not get a cheap air pump and hope for the best. my tank is a big investment and one that I love there for I would rather be absolutley sure my inhabitants are safe and well cared for

It sounds to me like you're saying; anyone without a generator doesn't care if their inhabitants are safe and well cared for.

cindyp

all I am saying is it wouldn't matter if the outage was 6 hrs or 6 days if you prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I had it happen the power company said 3 hrs max it ended up a day and a half before power was restore the only thing that saved my tanks was I have a wonderful neighbor who is on a different grid and we literally ran extendtion cords all the way from my house to his. the next day I bought a generator and I will never be in that helpless position again nor will my tanks.

McTeague

I will agree that if the outage is expected to be 6 hours it could be much longer.

To summarize my advice in the thread I would say that I think the OP would be ok with 3 battery powered air pumps running air stones for up to 24 hours or so.

The OP does not really say what kind of livestock or tank he has, that information would be useful.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I thought my email notification was on but I guess not as I never received any notification of replies.

Anyways, last night I went to Petco and got a battery operated air pump, worked like a charm, power was out from about 10 til about 15 minutes ago and all my fish that are not hiding look fine, my orchid and diamond goby hide a lot but I am sure they are ok in there. I have a net lid so no worries of jumpers.

Thanks again for the advice, feeling much better now that this is over...

I hope to have my battery backup for my mp10s before the next time this happens...

I will agree that if the outage is expected to be 6 hours it could be much longer.

To summarize my advice in the thread I would say that I think the OP would be ok with 3 battery powered air pumps running air stones for up to 24 hours or so.

The OP does not really say what kind of livestock or tank he has, that information would be useful.

Sorry, I need to update my signature, will do promptly...