Powder blue tang feeding question

eaze333

Hi,
I have a powder blue that has turned his nose up at eating romaine lettuce. Which he was quite happy with until a few weeks ago. He won't touch nori. The only things he will eat are some small pellet food and frozen mysis shrimp. Neither of which seem to have too much substance to keep his belly full. His belly is a little sunken in. I don't really want to start polluting my tank with daily cubes of mysis to keep him full. I usually only feed my other fish every 2-3 days. The powder blue did love to eat hair algae which he wiped out. Does anyone have any suggestions or concoctions of food that may interest and fill his belly? I know these guys have quite an appetite and I don't want him to starve.

Thanks
Eric

eaze333

Interesting. At the risk of a dumb question, would that be some sort of liquid garlic solution available at LFS or could I throw some cloves in water? The selecon I understand where to get.

badvegan

I would go with the garlic and Seachem and add cyclopeeze powder to the mix if it doesnt work. Just be quick or your nori will fall apart before you get it on the clip from being wet.

Have you tried the new Instant Ocean gel algae wafers? I had some luck two weeks ago getting an especially picky butterfly to eat with them.

eaze333

I have not tried the gel wafers. I think I will heading to the LFS to get some of each and see how things work out.
Thank you both. I post if I have success.

Val

I put mine on the clip first and then add a bit of garlic to it. I suppose you could add selcon after it's on the clip also. I add selcon and vitamins to the frozen food I feed so I don't worry about it on the nori.

eaze333

So, I go home last night with all the goodies for my buddy excited about this badass fish chowing down and, I couldn't find him anywhere. He is usually pretty good at hiding in any place he can fit. After an hour or so of being home he still didn't come out. I searched and searched and sure enough I found the poor guy dead. It sucks, I really liked that fish. He had a lot of personality. I don't get it. just the night before this thread he swimming around, at least eating the mysis and pellet food, what little substance there is in those foods. I definitely didn't expect to find him dead.