Potter's Angelfish

surfzone

I love this fish, but I haven't heard much about them. I just wanted to know if anyone has kept one in their reef with much success?

nijunet

Here is mine. I currently have him in a 90 gallon mixed reef tank and he hasn't been a problem at all. It is absolutely one of my favorite fish!!

potters.jpg

BoomerD

Beautiful fish, but like all angelfish, may or may not decide to develop a taste for corals. Here's what Bob Fenner has to say:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pottersangel.htm

"Historically the Potter's angel has a lousy survival record in captivity. Likely less than five percent are alive within one month of capture... Most of this attrition can be traced to damage in collection (getting thrashed by nets, their gill/opercular spine getting caught in netting), holding (totally unnatural "cubicle" settings or mixed in with fishes w/ no cover to hide in), shipping in too small bags... Along with dealers' and hobbyists' practiced ignorance in keeping the species in inappropriate settings.

This species needs room (at least a hundred gallons), with lots of spaces, crevices to dart through and out of the way, and a paucity of too-active fishes kept with it. The best situation, as you might also assume, would be a biotopic Hawaiian reef slope set-up with species to be found there.

Given plenty of healthy live rock and a calm, stable setting of size, and of course the selection of an initially healthy specimen, the Potter's is not a difficult animal to keep. "

Witfull

fenner knows he fish,,,and drinks like one too

(bob, if you read this, I'll meet you at the bar in Pittsburgh)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I had one and was my favorite of the Centropyge sp. This fish is very delicate so doesn't ship very well and will take time to accept prepared foods so it's very important that you have a mature tank with plenty of LR and good micro-algae growth to sustain him during the transition. Also keep in mind that the Centropyge can be a problem in a reef particularly if you keep zooanthids, Trachyphyllias and Tridacnas. Mine continually picked on all three severely damaging and killing my Crocea. Also mine once established became very territorial and aggressive especially with new additions, I suggest that he be one of the last fish unless you add some of the more aggressive sp.Here's a photo of mine:

18135_3593.JPG

surfzone

he is going into a mostly SPS with a few LPS ( Acans, Frogspawn, and cynorina) if he starts picking at the LSP well i'll just move the LPS to another tank. i also have a large amount of sponge in my tank. do they like to pick at sponge like other angels?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
he is going into a mostly SPS with a few LPS ( Acans, Frogspawn, and cynorina) if he starts picking at the LSP well i'll just move the LPS to another tank. i also have a large amount of sponge in my tank. do they like to pick at sponge like other angels?

The main component of the diet for most dwarf angels is algae and detritus. However, they will consume coral polyps, coral slime, sponges, small invertebrates, and feces from other fish. In some species, up to 50% of their stomach is filled with sand that they have picked up while feeding on detritus (DeLoach, 1999).

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/hcs3/index.php