Pod Hotel

reefer gladness

Robzilla

Thanks guys. I think a lot of people freak out about DIY projects being difficult. This shows they don't have to be hard at all.

ToeSloth

Hey Rob how is your hotel working? Got any idea how many you are keeping with that one piece of pipe? Thanks for your DIY project idea as well, I'm not that handy but I think I could manage this one! :)

Chris

Uslanja

Good question? That's a nice doable little project if it supports a good sized population of pods! Which type of pods did you ultimately go with Rob?

Robzilla

It has been working really well. Only thing I would do different is make the drilled holes a little wider. The population definitely grew back though!

YNot

The ones that I've made for my tank and my son's tank look very much like Robzilla's.
I took one by my local LFS to get his input on it. He asked that I make some for him to sell in his shop.
So we've sold about a dozen of them thus far and we need to make some more.

This is what we've been calling the Grand Cope-a-Cabana. BTW, it's 8 inches long and the one in the photo still needs to have more holes drilled in it.:
1_Cabana.JPG

This is the 4 inch version that I have in my tank:
1_Copecabana.JPG

Normally I flush them with saltwater, shake out the excess water then seed them with LFS bought pods. Place it in the back, behind the rock (out of sight) and let the little guys and gals do what comes naturally. We started our most recent tank during the first week of February. Added a Green Mandarin in mid May. The Wrasse and the Mandarin are still doing great even after such a short period of time.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The ones that I've made for my tank and my son's tank look very much like Robzilla's.
I took one by my local LFS to get his input on it. He asked that I make some for him to sell in his shop.
So we've sold about a dozen of them thus far and we need to make some more.

This is what we've been calling the Grand Cope-a-Cabana. BTW, it's 8 inches long and the one in the photo still needs to have more holes drilled in it.:
1_Cabana.JPG

This is the 4 inch version that I have in my tank:
1_Copecabana.JPG

Normally I flush them with saltwater, shake out the excess water then seed them with LFS bought pods. Place it in the back, behind the rock (out of sight) and let the little guys and gals do what comes naturally. We started our most recent tank during the first week of February. Added a Green Mandarin in mid May. The Wrasse and the Mandarin are still doing great even after such a short period of time.

That looks like a cool invention Ynot! If it were clear, it could be filled with chaeto or some other type of macro algae to double as a natural way to lower phosphate in the DT with controlled algae growth. And pods BOTH.
I'm real new to all this desire to "have it all" in limited space. UUGHH! I just need my sump & refugium already. (So I can rest my mind on where to grow me some macro algae :yup: )

jerry26

my pods and now ive even begun noticing live brine, seems to love the filter pads. it seems to me you could just tear up some filter pads into chunks and loosely place them in there instead of chaeto.