Please settle a "discussion" with spouse

Hi Everyone!

New RSM owner here, just got it all set up and we are thrilled with it. You all have soo much knowledge I haven't found a better place to read and gather information on our new hobby.

DH and I were having a little discussion about the lighting. Please forgive me for not knowing the proper names of the lights......still learning here. But we set the timer for 8 hours per day for now and I notice the blue moon type lights stay on all the time. Is this correct? Or should we turn off the moon lights when the white/black light comes on? Hubby says thats the way the system is designed, just wanted to be sure.

We have about 25 pounds of live rock, live sand, in a 130D.

Thanks and I'm trying to learn to post some pics here

zy112

I think it is your personal preference. Moonlights are usually used when the main lights go off. I have a fixture with moonlights and I don't even really use them, just dont find it necessary.

So if you like the moonlights on at night, run them. If not, turn them off and save a little tiny bit of electricity lol.

seafansar

I usually time mine to just be on at night, but they can run all day with no problems. LED lights last a long time, so leaving them on it just fine. Just personal preference I guess.

Thanks so much, I thought the same thing. Why have them on all the time. Now I think I need a photobucket account......:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
YES you need a PB account :) It's required I believe LOL!

I have moonlights in all of my fixtures and used to run them on a timer but now I just leave all on 24/7.

Nowellsy SNR

Hi and welcome to the RSM Members forum

Congrats on your new tank

My Moonlights come on when the main lights go off

echopiece

This was quoted from Steveh awhile back.

Please remember that all marine creatures require periods of complete darkness. We deliberately put low powered blue led's into the Max's, not because of cost but because the lighting level was designed to allow you to watch noctural activity without disturbing the natural photoperiod.

I am not sure if this means when the stock RSM moonlights are on, as being in "complete darkness", or if they actually need periods with the moonlights off?

I am in the habit of turning the LED's off before bed and back on first thing in the morning.

In case you are interested, here is a link to wiring the moonlights to a timer. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/43962-rsm-moonlights-3.html

seafansar

I am not sure if this means when the stock RSM moonlights are on, as being in "complete darkness", or if they actually need periods with the moonlights off?

I am in the habit of turning the LED's off before bed and back on first thing in the morning.

In case you are interested, here is a link to wiring the moonlights to a timer. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/43962-rsm-moonlights-3.html

Mine are on all night. My fish hide in the rocks to sleep, so they are probably getting complete darkness where they hide.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
aquawtr4me -
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary & the rsm owners forum, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif
Congrats on the new rsm - start a tank thread & post some pics, love to follow & see new tank threads :)

My moon lights come on when the main lights go off & stay on all about 16 hours & the main lights run about 8 - hope this helps.

caitrina

My moonlights ran all the time, when I got my T-5's there was an auto timer on them, when the day lights and dusk lights went off the moonies came on. Either way doesn't really matter and yes,:bluenod: a PB account is required as well as pictures, we usually don't allow any posts without pictures.....:laughroll ...welcome to RS

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Crew! Great to see another new RSM owner - enjoy the tank! I'm now running a raised hood with 12 moonlights (6 white, 6 blue) and I have the white & blue on for an hour before & after the main lights come on, then just blue all night long. It's really a personal preference - I just like to be able to see in the tank at night, and some corals fluoresce under moonlights and it's nice to see them "glowing".

Nowellsy SNR

Interesting i've never had my tank in total darkness