Please Help me Set up Phosban Reactor

spanglish

Well, My obsession this summer with these....

macroflower005_edited-1.jpg

has resulted in my neglect of my reef resulting in this...

hairalgae041.jpg

hairalgae033.jpg

Big algae bloom.

I have done water changes, removed phosphate factories ( foam blocks,
old filter socks, etc.) and have purchased a phosban reactor.

I have a few questions.:whstlr:

Triggerjay

Looks like you are collecting a bit of aptasia too... WOW, Looks like a challenge.... Are you using RO/DI for topoff? If so, whats your TDS reading on the RO water? Whats the phosphate level of the ro water before you put it in the tank? That may be a place to start...

Jason

spanglish

I have purchased a phosphate removal media called
"Rowa phos" to put in it.

Here are my questions:

1. The media comes with a bag, but the reactor indicates
to "spoon " the media into the reactor. I'm concerned
about the two "sponge" pieces in the reactor being sufficient
to confine particulates............... Can I put the bag in the
reactor??

2. Any suggesions on setup?

3. Any feedback on Rowa phos?

spanglish

Looks like you are collecting a bit of aptasia too... WOW, Looks like a challenge.... Are you using RO/DI for topoff? If so, whats your TDS reading on the RO water? Whats the phosphate level of the ro water before you put it in the tank? That may be a place to start...

Jason

I use RODI for everything, but have questions about some I bought about
a month ago (too late for TDS readings).
My new peppermint shrimp (2) and Joe's Juice are getting the aptasia handled
as we speak.

Triggerjay

You can run the reactor either way.. The "sponges" will contain the rawphos. For added peace of mind however, you can also run it in the sock, inside the reactor.,... no need really though.. and it might cause the rawphos to be a little more un-effecient... good to hear on the aptasia killers.... good move. You will have the tank back to pristine in time...

Jason

Melanie

I have a phosban reactor and if you keep the flow low enough (which is recomended anyway), it doesn't move the particles around. My phosban instructions specifically said don't use the bag in the reactor. Don't forget to let the first couple of gallons of water drain into another container to get the tiny particulates out.

Nervoustime

I am using RowaPhos in a Phosban Reactor with great success. I really believe it does a great job. Make sure that you start the flow to the reactor as low as possible. Otherwise, the particles will start to come out of the reactor. You want the RowaPhos to bubble up around an inch from the bottom of the reactor. You can adjust it slowly until that is achieved. Before placing it in the sump, I ran some RO/DI through the reactor, until the water cleared up.

spanglish

I am using RowaPhos in a Phosban Reactor with great success. I really believe it does a great job. Make sure that you start the flow to the reactor as low as possible. Otherwise, the particles will start to come out of the reactor. You want the RowaPhos to bubble up around an inch from the bottom of the reactor. You can adjust it slowly until that is achieved. Before placing it in the sump, I ran some RO/DI through the reactor, until the water cleared up.

I'm new to the whole reactor setup. Please explain how much rowaphos
do I put ? Do I fill it completely?

I got a maxijet 600 for pump (recommended by LFS). Is that too much
flow?

Break it down for a dummy!:drool: :bugout:

Nervoustime

I bought the 500ml package of RowaPhos. I use around 1/3 of the RowaPhos each time. The Maxijet 600 is fine, but start the reactor with the lowest possible pressure from the pump. You can always adjust it if needed. Run some RODI water throught the reactor until the water in the reactor becomes clear. At first, you will get some rusty looking water coming out of the reactor. After it has completely cleared, you can place it in the sump. You don't want too much pressure going through the reactor. If the RowaPhos bubbles up around an inch, you got it running right. I hope this helps.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
1st-rinse the RowaPhos with RO/DI water using a small sieve. This removes the fines.

2nd-Fill the reactor about 1/3 full

3rd Hook it up to the pump and get it going on low. Increase the flow so that the top 1/2 inch of the media is gently tumbling. Too high a flow will break up the media sending it into the tank possibly harming the fish etc.

Last edited: