Please Help Me I broke my Filter Pump!!!

chriswho

I feel terrible. Im such an idiot. I flooded my Magnum 350 canister filter pump! What to do while I wait for a replacement? I'm scared for my poor little friends! I don't want to lose any of them o please help me.

dianezoo

You dont mention what else you set up has going on. Im trying to figure out how a canister filter gets flooded.
(?) Does your tank have live rock? Plenty of current via power heads?. A skimmer? What size tank is it?

chriswho

I added a bubble stone, and I will be changing water regularly. Will this be enough to keep my little buddies alive? Does anyone have an anwer for me?

chriswho

When I say flooded I mean I am foolish and this being my first canister I mistakenly forgot the o-ring on the lid and water swuirted everywhere including into the motor part. It won't come on. I'm guessing it's fried. It's a 55 gal. with 1 Koralia power head 450 gph, and 1 Koralia power head 600 gph. 4x 65w pc lighting. 2 clowns, 1 damsel, 1 bubble anemone, 1 coral banded shrimp, and several snails. 30 lbs. LR, few pieces of coral, (brain, candy cane, and zoos. I plan on ordering replacement motor tomorrow. Am I completely doomed?

dianezoo

Can you describe your tank system?
Air stones are not used in Reef systems. If that is the only thing you have to move water then I would figure out a way to have it pump air out a wider tube and not a bunch of bubbles wich will creat foam.

dianezoo

Opps you answered the question while it was posting too.
You should be fine with the power heads for a couple of days.
It is possible the motor may start after it drys out completely unless you smelled it and it's fried the motor.
You may have to do a partial water change.

chriswho

Thanks for the replies. I didn't smell anything, but I plugged it in and still nothing. Guess I should probably order another one? I was worried last night, because my clowns were looking sick, but they seem to have bounced back. I'm so happy.

Witfull

ok,,,this may sound strange at first, but it works. water isnt the evil part here. its the salt. flush the motor with clean water and allow to dry completely. this will remove the salt that bridges connections and causes frying

BigJay

this sounds strange. I can't tell you how many times I forgot to put the o-ring back on a 350 and never had the motor destroyed because of it. How long did it run like that?

chriswho

not long. Just a second ane then i unplugged it and dried out what I could. when I plugged it back in it just worked for like 30 seconds and then quit. No, I don't have a skimmer. I wish...
Witfull, This is a magnum and I can't get to the insides of the motor. Will it work if I just do the outside, and try to get it in there as good as possible

lcstorc

Worth a try. If he is right (and he often is) the salt is causing bad connections and that is the problem. If you can rinse the salt out the conections will restore to normal. Are you ordering a whole new filter or a pump? If you are just ordering the pump then there has to be a way to get to the pump. If you are replacing the canister may I ask why? You would be better off with a HOB skimmer if you don't have a sump.
Canister filters are really not needed or even good for a reef system. If you really want one I can look in the garage and see if I still have the Fluval I have. If I have all the parts, I'll send it to you. I'l; never use it.
Seriously though, think about what you need it for? I don't run one and haven't for years. A skimmer and live rock and occasionally some carbon and that is all I use.

chriswho

The reason I am thinking of replacing this filter is because for the time being it is all I have, and all I am able to afford. I would love to have a skimmer, but I'm afraid that's a little to o outta my price range. If anyone knows where I can get a good quality at good prices, pleas let me know. And if you're serious lcstorc, I'll take it. I would never turn down a free piece of equipment.

bluespotjawfish

Have you tried plugging in something else into the outlet that you plugged the Magnum into? Could be the outlet fried if the plug had salt water on it when you plugged it in.

Check on craigslist or your local reef board for a used skimmer.

lcstorc

Meanwhile I will see if I still have the Fluval parts. I may not but I can look anyway. Have to have dinner at the in-laws in a few minutes but I will look when I get back.
See if you can find a used Aqua C Remora. They are great HOB skimmers and are what I run on my tank that doesn't have a sump.

BigJay

I was thinking that too maybe the breaker or the GFCI tripped. The motor is sealed in the unit if I remember right and just doesn't seem likely you damaged the motor. Try plugging it in elsewhere.

dianezoo

i mean dunk it in a sinkfull of water. what do you have to lose right now?
Unplugged of course LOL.

After it is dried out if it still wont work after you plug it in
try running a heavy duty algea scrapping magnet if you have one sometime its current with the motor can get it kick started. I do this a lot with my hang of ont back filters for FW fish tanks and also for my power heads in all tanks that get stuck even after they get cleaned out with fresh water.
For your tank more live rock and eventually a skimmer is all you should need.

chriswho

It didn't fry the plug because I plugged my lights into it and it still works.
I was going to move some live rock from my 24g aquapod to my 55 gal. but do I need to do anything before I put it in? I put t in yesterday but took it out last night, because I was afraid that was the reason my clowns were acting weird.
Dwtoddj I am nowhere near near there. I live in southwestern Oklahoma.
I just got home from work and tried to plug in the motor after rinsing it and letting it dry all day. No luck...
I also tried sticking a mag float next to it after i read your post Dianezoo, not sure if that's what you meant, but it still didn't come on.