Please help ID this new algae/bacteria growth ...

igoblox

I noticed the last couple of days that I was getting this red growth on some rocks and snail/hermits. (see pics)
There is very little of it at the moment but I just got over a big GHA issue about 2 months ago, so I dont want things to get out of hand.

I tested my phosphates and they were about .025ppm
I tested my my Nitrates and they were high at about 25-30ppm.
I dosed 2ml of Red Sea NO3/PO4x last night. (Though it always makes my water cloud)

I just performed a 25% water change last thursday, but I am going to do another 25% water change today.

Can someone please ID the growth below, I was thinking Cyano but it seems kind of hairy.
Also any tips to get rid of it would a big help.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

rock_zpsb194de6d.jpg

shell_zps0dfe574d.jpg

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor
Geez, I hope is nothing seriously bad, Igoblox.
Do you have more pictures of this particular case?
Keep us updated about this and tell us if the water change has helped, or if it is still overgrowing.

-Nancy

igoblox

I will take some more tonight and post them.
Again its not out of hand yet, but seems to have really became noticable. Most likely due to my nitrate spike.
Right now its just a very light film or growth on mostly edges of rock and even my pump return nozel.
Thanks Nancy, I will.

-Joe

pgrtgunner

I went through this not too long ago. I used about three feet of air hose and syphoned
off about a gal. of water and algae every day for about 10 weeks. And now I don't have any algae
and I am feeding the fish with Romaine Lettuce until I get some green algae back. I put some green
in my tank from my 14gal nano. And I didn't have to use any chems in my tank.

igoblox

Once I was able to get a consistent dosing going with nopox the no3 dropped down to 1-2ppm in 3 days. A week later the stuff aparrently dried up. Seemed to be directly related to high nitrates.