Plate Coral

I got a nice green and orange long tentacle plate coral a few weeks ago. It was shipped to me about 3 weeks ago. Since I've gotten it it has yet to open its tentacles. It deflates all the way down when the lights are on and every night when the lights go out it blows back up. It has eaten twice since I got it. I'm running 2 50/50 65 watt CF lights for about 11 hrs a day. everything else in the tank is doing great. I was just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this.

caca9786

Are you sure its a long tentacle coral? When it blows up at night it should be extending its tentacle if its a long tentacle plate. They poof up at night to eat, and then shrink back during the day, so that is perfectly normal. I had one that blew up the size of a volleyball at night and scared the crap out of me!!!

That's what happen today. I dog must of hit the light timer while i was at work. By the time i got home the lights must have been off for hours and the damn thing was HUGE. No tentacle tho..... In fact there wasn't even any numbs or anything. When it shrinks back down it really shrinks, like back to its hard skeleton.

caca9786 do you have any pics of it Inflated and deflated?

magnetar68

My Long Tentacle balloons up during the day too:

IMG_0479.jpg