Plate coral receding

seafansar

A little more info and a picture would help. How long have you had it? Where is it in relationship to lighting or other corals? What kind of lighting is it under? What are your water params (what did you test for)? Anything out of the ordinary happen to the tank recently?

If you want to insert a picture try using photobucket.com It's free and easy to use.

Welcome to RS, btw!

Today

SickPlateCoral002.jpg

April 7

TankApril07.jpg

Today

TankApril18.jpg

Water Params

PH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Calcium 400
Phosphate 0
Temp 78

Supplements

Kent Marine Essential Elements
Reef Trace Elements
Reef Carbonate
Reef Complete Calcium

Food

8-20 Phytoplankton
The rest get brine shrimp and seaweed

Lighting
65/65 Compact Fl. Blue/Daylight

Had him about a month
As you can see the other corals are doing well
I have hammer and frogspawn that are doing well too
Do you think that clown might have done it?
Thx

cbrownfish

Heliofungia do not have a good survival rate in captivity. Is your clown residing in the coral? The clown could be irrating it, it may need lower lighting, could be suffering from allelopathy, bubble coral stung it, damaged during shipping, or it is simply not happy in captivity.

What does "water params are good" mean? NH3/nitrite/NO3 - 0, Ca 420, dKH, 9, Mg 1300, Temp 78-80, pH 8.0-8.2, etc?? :)

Heliofungia do not have a good survival rate in captivity. Is your clown residing in the coral? The clown could be irrating it, it may need lower lighting, could be suffering from allelopathy, bubble coral stung it, damaged during shipping, or it is simply not happy in captivity.

What does "water params are good" mean? NH3/nitrite/NO3 - 0, Ca 420, dKH, 9, Mg 1300, Temp 78-80, pH 8.0-8.2, etc?? :)

not to sound like a nob but what is allelopathy

seafansar

My best guess is that the clown is irritating it. Allelopathy is when another coral (leathers are known to do this) releases toxins in the water to kill other corals around them. Also known as chemical warfare. You do have a leather in your tank that might be causing the problem. Do you run carbon? Carbon will filter out the toxins.

My best guess is that the clown is irritating it. Allelopathy is when another coral (leathers are known to do this) releases toxins in the water to kill other corals around them. Also known as chemical warfare. You do have a leather in your tank that might be causing the problem. Do you run carbon? Carbon will filter out the toxins.
yes i run carbon in my filter, in fact i changed it a week ago(once a month)

seafansar

I have never owned a plate coral before, but I have had other LPS's come back from much worse than that. I would just give it some time, make sure it get good flow and no brown jelly growing on it, and see how it does. If you could remove the clown, that would probably help too, but I know that's probably not an option.

Your tank looks really good, btw. You should show some more pictures of it in the meet and greet forum.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you can "protect" it from the clown you may have a chance at saving it. Clowns are known for "rough Love" and inadvertently kill many LPS in our tanks. I've lost several LPS to a clown loving it to death.

Also it looks like you're supplementing a LOT! Are you testing for everything you're supplementing? If you don't TEST for it don't DOSE for it. Dosing without testing is like adding oil to your car just because "It feels like it needs it!". At some point you'll have oil over-fill issues and so will your tank :)

I have never owned a plate coral before, but I have had other LPS's come back from much worse than that. I would just give it some time, make sure it get good flow and no brown jelly growing on it, and see how it does. If you could remove the clown, that would probably help too, but I know that's probably not an option.

Your tank looks really good, btw. You should show some more pictures of it in the meet and greet forum.

i put a few pics in my gallery