Plate Coral Dying help!!

woolfe

My jawfish partially covered my plate coral with sand and now it's dying. I moved it up high on the rocks for now. Is there anything else I can do for it? :help:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Just keep doing what you have been. I can't say moving it up so high into the light is good. I would go about midway if anything. Good luck!

Snelly40

yeah, they like light but also like to be nice and stable, is there anyway to just move it away from the jawfish?

is it getting enough light on the substrate?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What type of light do you have and how many watts ? You say the coral is dieying, is it showing it's skeleton or is the flesh receding ? Do you usually target feed it ? Was this one incident with the Jawfish or does he continually bury the coral under sand ? This is a sand dwelling coral and doesn't usually do well if placed under direct intense light and shouldn't be placed on the rockwork.

woolfe

4x54w T5 HO slimpaq 10,000k Daylight
4x54w T5 HO slimpaq 460nm Actinic
4 moon white lunar lights

I put him that high because it was the only place where I could get it away from Earl (the jawfish) and keep him in the light. I'll move it to under the ledge. I was thinking that the light would probably help. .:smack: The only other spot on my sandbed is taken by a huge wellsophyllia brain. Earl only did it I believe, because the plate moved a little and got too close to his hole. I see skeleton all over the place. I target feed it maybe once a week but I know it gets some every time I feed the tank.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
woolfe can you provide a photo ? If placing it on the SB it's not necessary to shade it. If it's still alive I would try to feed some meaty food such as small pieces of shrimp or squid and hopefully it can recover.