Pink Algae?

FallChinook

I have this pink fuzzy stuff that keeps growing around my candy canes. It was on the group when we got them and hasn't spread, but just keeps growing. It is easy to pick off, but nearly impossible to get it all, then it grows back.....any thought on what it is?
coralfuzz.jpg

odellous

dude! i logged on just to find out what this stuff is. its growing in my refugium/ats system. its smothering my caulerpa and i think its affecting the growth of the caulerpa. i have no clue as to what this is...it just looks like pink cotton balls or something. will check with other sites and get back to you if i find an answer.

FallChinook

The only thing we found to remedy the problem was pacific turbo snails (or mexican turbos). Sea hare didn't touch it, nudibranch didn't touch it....nothing...it was overtaking our tank and after adding pacific turbos it was gone after 3 days. Miracle. The LFS tried to talk us out of the turbos to begin with because they are "bulldozers".....they didn't knock anything over. Try them.

tatuvaaj

Ignore the "Pink Algae" link, they are talking about cyanobacteria which this algae certainly is not (I can't remember the species right now).

This is one of the most difficult algae to control because it can grow very fast and in doing so it creates a microhabitat that traps detritus and thus promotes even faster growth as the detritus is broken down by bacteria. It is interesting that under the microscope it has practically no epiphytes so it must have very good chemical defenses, also most likely the reason why most herbivores won't eat it.

In my experience Dolabella auricularia is the best creature to control this algae.

ReefLady

Staff member
I think this is what is commonly referred to as "red turf algae".
I can't remember the scientific name - maybe Anotrichium (or something like that).
Not easy to get rid of.

FallChinook

We figured out it was Asparagopsis sporophyte, but the sea hare did not remedy it at all. It really started spreading all over, and the only thing that seemed to touch it was the mexical turbos, which got rid of it within days.

BigJay

I have something similar choking out some blastos right now.
I'd like to know what it is about the skeleton directly under candy cane polyps that lends itself to such spectacular algal growth.

I have some of that in my refugium. It has not spread inside my tank. I remove it once every 2 weeks when I prune my macro algae in the fuge.

johnmaloney

I have been desperately looking for a photo of this menace. Allow me to include it in the nuisance algae Id thread and I will tell you what it is.

It isnt an algae at all, that can only add to the excitement. :)

johnmaloney

oh well I tried, it is a species of Lyngbya, species level identification requires a microscope, but it is pretty common, spread like wildfire etc.. With enough hermits, (sea hares like it too, -depending on species - next time try a ragged sea hare- but adding a sea hare isnt a decision that should be taken lightly, they need expert care - don't like powerheads, will nasty your tank when they die, very prone to salinity changes and ink, etc... - plus they dont like to clean near corals because of the stinging thing), you can wipe it out. Nerite and ceriths eat it as well, but they dont seem to be able to keep up with its growth. It is a species of cyanobacteria, just not the species of cyano everyone is familiar with. There is a great deal of diversity in cyanobacteria, a few 1000 different species, and Lyngbya is one of the more prevalent forms both in nature and in our tanks. You might be able to google it, try Lyngbya majulsca.

I would still love to be able to use the picture. :)

FallChinook

It is NOT Lyngbya, it was a species of red algae in the genus Asparagopsis in the sporophyte stage. The book Algae: A problems solvers guide by Julian Sprung is exception for algae id. Take it from me--we had NO luck with any removal measures (especially hand picking it out) except for the turbo snails.
Good luck!