phosphate reactor vs Media basket.

flytrap

I have a Media basket and have Chemipure elite in bottom chamber. I have been trying to put filter media in top chamber but after 1 day I get restricted flow and find that my auto top off put fresh RO water and then when I change the filter media now the tank is to full. I was thinking about using a phosphate reactor any ideas?

Stev

ausreef

their are fixes for your problem,most people only put one piece of white/blue filter mat and change it every few days,but in answer to your question a phosphate reactor is about 10x more efficient than a media rack,not sure if the chemi pure will hold together but if you want to remove phosphate rowaphos in a reactor certainly works

ausreef

can also wipe out your tank if not administered carefully,jimo VSV/carbon dosing is a time bomb on a 30g tank,dilution and removal are much safer

Bobby B

I run Rowaphos in a small bag sandwiched between floss and a 1 inch black sponge in my media rack along with a purigen bag on the second shelf and chemipure elite hanging on the bottom rack.
I also have the Reef Dynamics skimmer that pulls way more then the stock skimmer. This along with not overfeeding, water changes every week, proper flow and about 20+ hermit crabs and snails hairy starfish ect my rocks stay very clean.
I do have some hint of cyano on the back wall and some green algae so I am contemplating a bio pellet reactor. I'm waiting for the reef dynamics nano reactor to come out soon just to help me with my phosphate and nitrate control.

In this pic of my back wall you can see the green algae and the little bit of cyano the rest of the tank is really clean.
IMG_2288.jpg