Pharmaceuticals In Public Drinking Water.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
The National news is reporting that high levels of pharmaceuticals, including hormones, have been discovered in public waterways and drinking water. Apparently the water treatment plants are not able to filter them out because they are not equipped to do so. Home filter systems are not able to remove them either!

I wonder how, if at all, this affects our tanks?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Don't know Booze. The news is reporting that home filter systems can not filter them out. :dunno:

Octoman

I would think that RO/DI can catch a substantial amount of these compounds. Hormones, antibiotics, and other pharms are usually pretty large compounds and should be held back well by RO. That's just another reason I drink my RO water instead of tap or bottled water. I wonder if the "home filter systems" they are referring to are those little carbon filters that go on the faucet that don't do a lot of good. However, who knows what the effects of constant, very low level exposure is...

rlcline76

Hard to say, but I will be watching my tank closely from here on out. If any of them get "chesty" I'll know who to blame!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I believe this has been expanded now to city works departments monitoring sewers and back tracking "drug use" right to the door lol. another good reason to run carbon

vdituri

I was thinking along these same lines, but more about potential buildup or effects in the ocean. Thats the final destination. Depending on what the wetlands can filter out. Assuming the river or bay has a wetland area.

The National news is reporting that high levels of pharmaceuticals, including hormones, have been discovered in public waterways and drinking water. Apparently the water treatment plants are not able to filter them out because they are not equipped to do so. Home filter systems are not able to remove them either!

I wonder how, if at all, this affects our tanks?

rlcline76

I worry more about what it is doing to developing kids than what it might be doing to my tanks. I look at the ecosystem on a bigger scale only secondary to the two kids I gotta look at daily. What would prolonged exposure mean? I did not read all of the articles today. Noticed it on CNN this morning, read a little on it on msn...any mention as to how long this has been known about?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
If any of them get "chesty" I'll know who to blame!

hysterical.gif

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I worry more about what it is doing to developing kids than what it might be doing to my tanks. I look at the ecosystem on a bigger scale only secondary to the two kids I gotta look at daily. What would prolonged exposure mean? I did not read all of the articles today. Noticed it on CNN this morning, read a little on it on msn...any mention as to how long this has been known about?

Good point. But the hormones used in food production, such as chicken and beef is already causing premature development in children.

rlcline76

That is true. But I doubt extra help with screwing everyone up is necessary...
What I have read that is a bit bothersome is that scientists that did know about it did not want to say anything because it could cause a panic. Things like this always tend to be bothersome. Hey don't worry! It'll probably just mess up the young, those in poor health and pregnant women. I would have liked to have known since I am living in a state where pharmaceuticals in the water is a problem. It would have been no big deal to have my drinking water source delivered to my door.

Bunch of bonehead scientists and govt officials...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It's usually not the scientists that try to cover up these things. They research not report to the public.

rlcline76

I always thought clownfish should be sold with little helmets so that they couldn't hurt themselves. One time I put some seaweed in on a cheap clownfish designed clip. The clownfish went bonkers.

And as far as scientists go...I recall including others under the "bonehead" label. I discriminate against no one!