PH help

RDrink25

My PH has dropped from 8.4 to 8.1 in about 2 weeks should I be concerned? How would you get it back up?

DaveK

That is typical. For now just do your normal water changes.

About the worst mistake you can make is to starting adding things to chase a number. If the fish, corals and other livestock are doing well, leave it alone.

chipmunkofdoom2

Thx what would be a bad # and start to get concerned?

Short answer? Any one that changes frequently.

If you don't have hard corals, you don't have to worry about the proper calcium absorption pH. Just keep it steady. Trying to keep it at a number you think is perfect is just going to hurt your livestock. The number they think is perfect (and the one they need, by the way) is one that stays the same.

cbrownfish

Consistency is the most important consideration regarding pH. The pH of our reef tank is typically handcuffed to the CO2 levels in our homes. You will notice that your pH often drops on days when the outside temp is mild, especially in the spring/fall, as your HVAC does not run as much and CO2 levels increase inside your home. Don't panic and don't start dosing pH buffer or some other product. I won't ever advise using pH buffer as it is a very assumptive product. It "assumes" that your alkalinity is low and boosts pH by increasing your alk/dKH. This is only a temporary fix and you can end up spiking your Alk/dKH fairly easily. You also jeopardize the life of your tank inhabitants, when the pH suddenly changes from dosing pH buffer and that can cause swift death. Typically, when your alk/dKH is at an acceptable level, pH is directly correlates to CO2 levels in our homes and/or other enclosed areas where sumps are kept (basements, closets, fishrooms, etc). You can add pH buffer until the end of time but the pH will ultimately drop again based on the dissolved CO2 levels of the surrounding air. All you end up doing is spiking your alk levels and causing other problems as stated.

So what advice would I give? Open a couple windows and let in some fresh air or just do nothing. Have you ever read an account where someone's pH dropped by .2 or .4 and suddenly their tank crashed and everything died? Nah. Unless your pH is consistently below 7.8, don't ever get caught up in CHASING a specific pH number. Again, consistency is the most important consideration regarding pH. Keep the daily pH "swing" at .2 or less and you are golden. Seasoned hobbyists use pH as a measure of general stability more than looking for a number.

For the record, MANY successful Mixed Reef Tanks and full blown SPS tanks have been run at a pH of 7.8-8.0.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I asked this question before and someone (i think Steved13) mentioned a cool idea was to put your airline for the skimmer outside or in a plce where it can get fresh air.......a cool idea if you can make it work.