ph and alk - again!!

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
I know this has been covered a million times but i know everyones tank is different. OK this has been going on for a while now but i need to do somthing more permanent. my levels are as follows:

sal-1.022
amn-0
trite-0
trate-10
ph-7.7
phos- .2
calc-500
alk-8.4 dkh

I dont currently have any trace elements that i add. Ive tried 2 parters in the past, and i always had ups and downs with the levels like i do now
(refering to calc and alk.)

I have some chemicals for adding calcium, and i have some reef former from natureef which states that it is a concentrated form of kalk.. should i just use this to raise my ph and alk?? Will that work?

I dont juust want to use buffers cause that would just mask my problem not fix it right?? I would like to figure out somthing to use to put in my tank so i dont keep having these ph and alk issues. My ph hasnt been above 8.0 or so since ive had the tank almost.

I currently dont have a sump but my new tank will have one (but thats not for at least a couple of months) Is that reef former kalk just for adding alk? or will it raise my calcium too? I def dont want my calc. going up anymore.id like to mabe drip kalk everyday to keep my alk up but i dont know how i could do this w/o a sump. Or maybe what in your opinion is the best way of keeping alk levels ..well level.

Any help is appreciated . THanks in advance everyone.

DaveK

I have noticed that you calcium is high, alkalinity average to low and your pH very low. Also, your salinity is a little on the low side.

First, I'd bring the tank up to 1.025, since all the other readings are somewhat dependent upon salinity.

I suspect that this is related to the salt you are using. The next time you mix up a batch of SW, test the parameters of the newly mixed batch. In addition, test for magnesium. (Yea, I know yet another test kit)

If the newly mixed water has similar parameters to your tank, it's time to switch brands of salt.

If your magnesium is low, it is very difficult to maintain a balance between pH, calcium, and alkalinity. This is another case where you may want to switch brands of salt.

A normal level of magnesium is about 1350 ppm.

While some people do supplement magnesium, and other things in newly mixed SW, I feel you are better off switching brands and using better salt.