PFO Gone

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Just thought I would throw up an update. PFO is no longer and is gone for good. It looks like Orbitec got what they set out to do, bankrup PFO and Pat himself. PFO is out of business, Pat has no job or money. That is the crap we have to deal with when a knockhead company, like Orbitec, comes after the little guy, so they can make an extra buck for their stockholders.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I don’t' know Mike. I and some others spent time doing some research for Pat last year. One of the things was have LED's ever been sold in this hobby, as for the use of, or application of, or directed towards aquarium use, to include marine tanks. I even talked to a patient lawyer at MACNA, who I sent to Pat and he hired him on the spot. Well, you can go back to the 90's on our old NG RAMR and find ref to them and even old ads in magazines on LED's. This was one of the things that Pat was after. So, How can they make such a claim. Wait, I know big lawyers and more money for their stock holders. Kill the little guys that really started it all, as you have gov ties :(

I find patent "things" very confusing at times as I was once involved with one 2 decades ago. "We" could not do ours which was for a completely different function and even worked different. Then you look at fishing reel companies. One year a patent comes out on a bail release, you have seen them I'm sure and the next year they all have a similar bail release or almost the same thing and no lawsuits. So, How the heck is that.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Sorry to see PFO go. Intellectual Property Law seems very arcane to me. I did some computer work for one of the big firms once and it didn't seem to make any sense.

mps9506

I find it all very confusing as well Boomer. Intellectual property and patent rights confuse the heck out of me.
How can I have a clear understanding of human physiology, and basic coral biology and ecology but not understand something like how patents and IP works in cases like this blows my mind. Something I never wish to be involved with.
Although as I have gotten more involved in policy work I see the same things happen. Just gotta have the right people on your side and in your pockets.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Unfortunately it usually boils down to who has deep enough pockets to "ride it out". not fair in the least but that's the way our "system" has evolved. Man this just SUCKS! I can assure you that it's HIGHLY unlikely you'll ever see an Orbitec unit under my roof.

swissgaurd

i really liked pfo when i started my aquarium bussiness pfo was one of my first
accounts.
they bent over backwards for me
and they were loyal.

i wonder if he could go south of the border and do what he was doin before.
im sure hed be a great welcome.

truly PFO was number one in my books

mps9506

i wonder if he could go south of the border and do what he was doin before.
im sure hed be a great welcome.

From my very limited understanding of IP and patent laws, they would still be prevented from selling any products in the US regardless of where they are produced. Keep in mind these units were made overseas anyways, even if they reopened in a more "ip liberal" country they wouldn't be allowed to sell the products here.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
You know, if they ever sell them in Canada I would drive a couple hours to pick them up. I think you are right, the IP covers any product sold within the US

lcstorc

So what does this mean for the other LED lights that are out there?
Elos is not in the US so I guess they can get away with it, but I know there is at least one other company producing LED aquarium lighting.

wonderloss

How can I have a clear understanding of human physiology, and basic coral biology and ecology but not understand something like how patents and IP works in cases like this blows my mind. Something I never wish to be involved with.

That is because IP is completely illogical.

Surfnut

2 words come to mind,.. (The others I want to use would get edited out)

BOYCOTT ORBITEC

I don't know what kind of a following we can get behind this. I'd love to get a nationwide consensus going on within the reefing community to Boycott Orbitec. It's a stretch, but maybe just maybe we can hit these Asses where it hurts the most; Their Wallet.

Words cannot convey the anger this topic brings to bear. A company, Orbitec, that has no interest in manufacturing aquarium lighting strong arms a company out of business. It just so happens this company, PFO, was at the forefront of the hobby trying to make owning and operating a reef tank more affordable.

This is a bit of a stretch but,.. There is talk within the current administration that they are to rewrite alot of these patent laws. Perhaps, just perhaps, we can get something rolling on this issue. Tho I doubt we could reverse this decision; We may be able to resurrect PFO using these new rewritten Patent Laws.

Last but not least,... if you are as angry about this particular subject as I am,..Write your Local Senator or Congressman and voice your displeasure over this. Someone has to stick up for the little guy in situations like this. Think of all the so-called minor-issues that have been brought into the national spotlight via a concerned group of individuals refusing to be hushed.

Embarrassing Orbitec on a National Level,..... <warm fuzzy feeling>

Steve @ PFO,.. our thoughts are with ya mate..

Orbitec,...... Bite the big one,...........**#$^*! (@!*U(&(& *@#$!% &!@#@$!(&$

lcstorc

What do they make or do so we can boycott?
They don't even have a LED light so just not buying that is'nt going to hurt them.

Cavinca

I think orbitech is an aerospace firm... Unless were gonna boycott satellites, i dont think well have much say...

You know, if they ever sell them in Canada I would drive a couple hours to pick them up. I think you are right, the IP covers any product sold within the US

Patent laws prohibit the makeing, selling, and USING of patented inventions. Resources: I have a few patents.

I honestly dont think they would enforce it that far down the chain, but anythings possible when there is money on the line...

Surfnut

They were just in the National News for having helped setup the Treadmill on the ISS.

I honestly don't know if there are any products they produce that are sold en mass to the public. I still say a loud enough voice will not only embarrass this Mockery of a Company, it may also get PFO back up and running.

I'm gonna start shooting off a package of info across the web to see if we can get some momentum to this action.

Orbitec messed with the wrong community,...... :ponder2: :chainsaw:

Cavinca

They were just in the National News for having helped setup the Treadmill on the ISS.

I honestly don't know if there are any products they produce that are sold en mass to the public. I still say a loud enough voice will not only embarrass this Mockery of a Company, it may also get PFO back up and running.

I'm gonna start shooting off a package of info across the web to see if we can get some momentum to this action.

Orbitec messed with the wrong community,...... :ponder2: :chainsaw:

This may also bring unwanted scrutiny to a very DIY-centric community.
Im not sure if they are publicly traded or not but that maybe the only way to influence a firm like orbitec...

Cavinca

I say we all pitch in and buy them out... Then we can fire all the CEOs and give everyone from PFO their jobs back... Then maybe we can get some cool zero gravity 300 gallon fish tank on the ISS.

Or better yet, Treadmills for our fish tanks. :fingerx: