Percula or Ocellaris??? Are the LFS workers useless??

Percula or Ocellaris???

• Percula

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Ocellaris

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

EllisJuan

OK...is this fish a Perculla or Ocellaris. I bought them from the LFS...someone traded them in. They are a good size mated pair a good 2.5" female and 2" male. I dont want to bias the poll, so I am not going to say yet what I was told they were.

71d39e33-1.jpg

EllisJuan

That is what I was thinking. Also the eyes appear to have an orange/clear area around the black.

I love the coloring of the wild caught clowns...much more vivid.

bigvag

count the dorsal fin, the percula should have 10 and a ocellaris should have 11. I'm going against the other two and say ocellairs, my reason is they are already 2.5" and the black lines should be thicker on that size percula.

Last edited:

mbdave

count the dorsal fin, the percula should have 10 and a ocellaris should have 11. I'm going against the other two and say ocellairs, my reason is they are already 2.5" and the black lines should be thicker on that size percula.

I'm diligently trying to find my Fautin and Allen Anemonefish and thier Host Anemones book to verify but I believe bigvag is correct.

nightfire76

im saying its an ocellaris, but i also have aan ocellaris with thick black bands so ya cant go by the band thing too much anymore

QuentinB

Count the dorsal fin rays. Percs have 10, Oc. have 11

Have you tried counting those on a 2" fish?! Very difficult, even with a decent picture...

I don't want to skew the tally, as I don't know well enough myself, but I'd be leaning to Ocellaris.

livebait

Have you tried counting those on a 2" fish?! Very difficult, even with a decent picture...

I don't want to skew the tally, as I don't know well enough myself, but I'd be leaning to Ocellaris.

Also the anterior part of the dorsal will be higher on Oc.

DxSOR25

not the best picture to judge but im going with occ.. even if u got with the eye standard.. it seems a lot darker than that of a percula

bigvag

OK...is this fish a Perculla or Ocellaris. I bought them from the LFS...someone traded them in. They are a good size mated pair a good 2.5" female and 2" male. I dont want to bias the poll, so I am not going to say yet what I was told they were.

71d39e33-1.jpg
Well what did the lfs say. Who's right.

QuentinB

My LFS sells all their clowns as "Percula", you have to read the fine print to tell if their A. Ocellaris or A. Percula. It's bull. I'm guessing they're going off the name "False Percula", but they could just be that lazy.