Peppermint shrimp just ate my snail!

Blndbunny

I just watched my peppermint shrimp pick o e of my stometella snails off the rock and devour him! Has any one else had this happen?

Blndbunny

The first one was cruding on the live rock cleaning he was a stometella vari, and he plucked him off the rock and ate him, after he finished he turned around and was trying to get an astrea snail off the back wall. He was clawing at his body.

Blndbunny

I just tore my tank apart and removed my all too resourceful shrimp..... Found his little grave yard of shells too, he took out 6 of my little snails :( well at least those guys seem to be breeding in my fuge so their numbers should go back up

I have seen a sizable peppermint shrimp attack multiple fish (fairy wrasse and small pearly jawfish) and after a couple of days of searching my good friend donated it to the local fish store as food for a very thankful grouper... they CAN be aggressive towards anything (fish, snails, other shrimp) the crazy thing was that the only guy he didn't mess with was a sexy shrimp

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've heard of them as possible coral eaters, but first time I've heard of them going after snails. Good information!

corrado007

I've got one lurking in my tank now as aiptasia control. He's been pretty civilized so far although I have seen a few shreds of frogspawn tissue floating round. Perhaps he's the cause. Hmmm.

Blndbunny

Yeah he was clearly a peppermint. The only opaque whit was the yolk on the chest area, everything else was translucent. I checked that as soon as he was home when I darted to acclimate