4) Added salt

Saturday
Tested and here are the numbers
Sal = 1.025
Ca = 440
DKH = 10
PH = 8.4
MG = 1200

Those numbers look pretty darn good to me but I can't understand where then I am loosing some. I will do the water change today and test again on Monday. As you know I do not have that much in my tank to be depleting the numbers the way I am?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Near perfect numbers - imo

Saturday
Tested and here are the numbers
Sal = 1.025
Ca = 440
DKH = 10
PH = 8.4
MG = 1200

redsea reefer

Thanks Tammy! :)

Those numbers are good except for Mag, If Mag is low, its hard to keep Ca up and stable. I like to keep my Mag around 1400 and it was that the last time I tested it.

I made my first batch with the SeaChem yesterday and will test Ca and Alk today and post here, I ran out of Mag test kit so I won't know that till I get another.

This is how I do it - 5g of RO water in bucket, put in heater and pump then circulate and heat water till 79*, then slowly add salt. Adjust SG till I get 1.026

Dweezil

Thanks Eddie.
So maybe that's what's depleting my numbers? Think I should dose my new batch of water for MG then test water again Monday to see about CA and ALK?

redsea reefer

Thanks Eddie.
So maybe that's what's depleting my numbers? Think I should dose my new batch of water for MG then test water again Monday to see about CA and ALK?

Your welcome Tammy!

Low Mag could be the problem. I would dose the Mag directly in the tank cause dosing it in the new batch will have very little if any effect in the tank. Once you have reached your target Mag in the tank, the fresh batch will have almost no effect to the main tank unless its really low.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've been dosing Mg too as it's been low as well as Ca & Alk. I don't have a water change till later this week and will try to remember to test my aged SW batch made with the SeaChem at that time.

redsea reefer

Cool Terry, I will post my results later today so we can compare except for Mag. I thoroughly hand mixed the entire bucket before the first use.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I made my first batch with the SeaChem yesterday and will test Ca and Alk today and post here, I ran out of Mag test kit so I won't know that till I get another.

Let me know what you think if you don't mind... I am on my 3rd bucket and so far REALLY like it all but the "cloudy mix"....

redsea reefer

Here are the numbers on my fresh batch of SeaChem Reef Salt

Temp - 78*
S.G - 1.026

Ca - 480
Alk - 11
Ph - 8.4

Other than the cloudy mix, I am happy with those numbers.

BigAl - What do your fresh batch numbers look like? If your on your 3rd bucket then it must be good and I will let you know after a few WC how the tank likes it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looks pretty good Eddie, other than no Mg test yet. I noticed my Sea Chem Marine water was cloudier than other salts I've used. It doesn't show up when added in the tank though.

redsea reefer

Terry - This is the first salt mix that gave me the cloudy water but if it doesn't show up in the tank then its fine with me. I'm hoping Mag is at least 1300 or more.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I REALLY like this salt mix :thumber:

I was hoping to go to LFS today to pick up a new MG test kit but SNOW has changed those plans!

My #'s are great with SCRS and better yet they seem to be extremely consistent from one batch to the next.

I've found in my mixing (35g at a time) that I initially use a high power pump when adding salt then after an hour I swap it out for a much lower GPH pump and the water really clears up greatly. When I do a 33% WC the tank is cloudy for about an hour. Interestingly during this time ALL of my coral seem to react in a positive way. P-E is good and everyone seems to love it.

Dweezil

Al ~ I would be curious to see what your MG numbers are as well. Since I have switched over all my numbers decreased. Terry has seen the same but now wondering since all other tests are really good it has to be lower MG bringing the others down. So, maybe sometime this Spring when all your snow melts? haha

redsea reefer

The fresh batch of SW cleared up pretty good after 2 days, the second day I aerated it for almost 24 hrs before I did my WC and no residue what so ever.

Dweezil

Tested water for MG today and after the water change on Sat I dosed for MG...still today MG 1260

I don't seem to have the cloudy water with the batches I've made but I almost always aerate for 24 hrs or more. I usually just drop the pump in and leave it after making up the water.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Interesting topic everyone.

Tammy... I assume you are also using Seachem? I am using Red Sea Coral Pro and have lowish MG also. Interesting to read that low MG can cause Ca to be low also. I am mixing up a fresh batch in a few days so I might do some tests and report back.