oxypora frag

Dakota

ok picked up a frag of a light blue with grenish mouth oxypora. its about the size of a quarter and has 3 mouths on it. i got this frag on saturday morning and has been in the tank since. i just started to notice today when the light came on that on one edge it is turning a light brown color. its not algae but the coral actually losiong some color. i had it about bottom third of tank and have since moved it up higher and closer to the light. its under 250w 14K mh right now. it came from 400 watt mh but the light on the 400 w were kinda far away from the coral so i fighure its about same amount of light. is this common for it to brown out a little and then pick back up. all the frags i get are usually brown and color up nicely. this 1 is doing the oppisite so it has ma a little worried. any advice about these corals would be great.

ReefLady

Staff member
If you got it rather quickly from the retailer, it very well could have just been earlier in the cycle you're talking about- lots of wild corals will brown up at first and then get their color back. I'd say stick to the basics... not too much light, plenty of current, time...

Dakota

it didnt come from a retailer. i saw the original colony that it came from anf is very nice guess i could find out tommorrow how long ago it was fraged . just a liitle worried i guess im sure it will be fine. nothing else in my tank is haveing any problems cleaner shrimp bredding regularly same with pepperminst shrimp and clowns and my rose bubble tip just split

baja_01

Move it down and let it get settled in. Some of those kinds of corals like alot of light, some will up and die if they get too much, but all can live in low light fairly well. Let it settle down then slowly move it up untill it looks nice.

If the edges start to grow up, move it up some more, if they grow down, move it down.